Do you always shoot in ISO 100?

the one that gets me is when I am shooting at night, and I've set it to some high ISO and forget to switch it back to auto. Then the next day I end up taking high ISO shots in broad daylight...

the one that gets me is when I am shooting at night, and I've set it to some high ISO and forget to switch it back to auto. Then the next day I end up taking high ISO shots in broad daylight...
Oh, I've done that a couple of times.

I would always shoot at 100 if that was possible but its not so I will shoot with What ever ISO is needed. Its dark and cloudy today, here is one i just shot at 6400 ISO, it turned out pretty descent.

DSC_2637-001.jpg

Most of my images seem to be at ISO 64 or ISO 400 :D

I shoot from 50 up to 6400 depending on subject matter and lighting conditions. I do often shoot at 100 if I can. Well, maybe my average is 160 or so. Somewhere in there.
It has already been said... I also do exactly as quoted

A pro-photographer encourages me to shoot in iso100 all the times.

Seems to me that's strange pro advice. But maybe it's tailored to your favoured subject?

What the pro likely said was "Shoot at ISO 100 whenever you can."
Not all DSLR cameras can shoot effectively at ISO 100, because ISO 100 is not a native ISO setting for all DSLR cameras.

It seems fairly obvious the OP's first language is not English and some subtleties of syntax and word meaning may not be readily apparent to the OP.

Not all DSLR cameras can shoot effectively at ISO 100, because ISO 100 is not a native ISO setting for all DSLR cameras.

It seems fairly obvious the OP's first language is not English and some subtleties of syntax and word meaning may not be readily apparent to the OP.

Ummmm.... He told me to shoot at ISO 100 no matter what!

He asked me what iso that I shoot regularly. I told him my iso is vary. When I shoot indoor and I'm not in the mood using a speedlite, the iso is higher around 3200 to 6400. The photographs is pretty good with light cropping and little noise reduction. When I do use speedlite, I set the iso to auto, so the iso is alway 400 with speedlite turned on. This photographer is a little odd. He told me to use iso 100 on everything and all lighting situations. Beside, I don't always use iso 100.

Last edited:

Well hate to have to be the one to say it but if he told you to shoot at ISO 100 no matter what then he gave you really bad advice. Shoot at the ISO you need to get the shot. If you can add light or setup a shot so that ISO happens to be 100, great - but unless you only shoot in a studio with all the time in the world and all the lighting you want at your disposal, well you'd be missing a ton of shots if all you ever shot was ISO 100. In fact I don't think I have more than maybe one or two pictures in my entire flickr stream that was shot at anything below ISO 400 - I just don't usually have that much light to work with to get my desired shutter speed.

In a perfect world, yes, always shoot in ISO 100...provided that is your camera's Native ISO....it's ISO 200 for most Nikons.

Anyways, It's always best to shoot in the lowest ISO but it's not always possible. I shoot our son's indoor basketball games for example. Indoor sports sounds great but the lightning isn't all that great. I have to open the lens up wide open and bump the ISO up to ISO 6400...sometimes higher. I also shoot some astrophotography and its best to bump up the ISO 400-1600.

Shooting exclusively on one setting(s) is about like shooting in Auto and it takes creative control out of your hands and gives it back to the camera...aka snap shots.

A pro-photographer encourages me to shoot in iso100 all the times. When I use a speedlight, I always shoot iso 400 to prevent recycle lag time and over draining the battery. Depending on how well the environment is lit, I can get lowest as iso 100, or if I shoot in still life. The iso 400 seems to have very good quality in photographs unless I zoom in or cropping large portion of the photograph. I don't think I can tell the differences between the whole photographs with iso 100 and iso 400. Do you always shoot in iso 100?

Tecboy...unless I'm shooting a 1.4 wide open...NEVER!

I shoot in rough light most of the time. I'm a social documentary photog, not a tripod / setup photog. The doc photog prides themselves in bringing home the goods in whatever light they find themselves in.

Shot this Xmas morning on my bi-annual trip to church with my wife. Only one shot could do. It came out decent for one shot candid.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...munion_Copyright_2014_Daniel_D._Teoli_Jr..jpg

(nsfw)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...i_Gras_Copyright_2014_Daniel_D._Teoli_Jr..jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ggalos_Copyright_2014_Daniel_D._Teoli_Jr..jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._no._2_Copyright_2014_Daniel_D._Teoli_Jr..jpg

Last edited:
I shoot iso 100 for everything. sometimes the photos come out really dark but that is okay. Same with shutter. I never shoot under a four hundred shutter even at night. again, sometimes they are a little dark.

I shoot iso 100 for everything. sometimes the photos come out really dark but that is okay. Same with shutter. I never shoot under a four hundred shutter even at night. again, sometimes they are a little dark.
Try as one may, you'll never get a shot like the one below at ISO 100 without subject blur, and camera motion blur as this was handheld - 1/250th at f2.5 ISO 4000.
Tanner-1.jpg

Limiting yourself to ISO 100 unconditionally limits your photography to well lit, mostly daylight photographs. If that works for you, great. But if you want to shoot in less well-lit situations, ISO speeds will have to be increased.

I think your "pro" photographer here was talking referring to times when studio flash is being used. In that case you may be able to get away with it most of the time. For outdoor/nature/landscape use, sometimes but not all the time. ISO is a tool, a powerful one. If you shoot in manual you know what I mean. A good workflow would be start with ISO, for quality purposes, choose the lowest you can get away with in the light conditions, then set your SS and aperture, then come back to ISO if you can't get those two where you want them. Of course, none of this is set in stone. For example, when I shoot with my 85 1.4, I almost always shoot it wide open, in that case, if I am outside on a bright day, I'll set at ISO 50-100 because I know I'll be at the top end of my SS.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back