Do you think technology will advance enough for... (low light; noise reduction)

Ah, I'm sincerely sorry! Also have to tell you then, that your better half is likely prettier than you are. As a side note, when I had the yellow cockateil bird avatar... that wasn't me either... lol.

This is due more to the fact that fuel economy is measured differently now, in 1984 the EPA adjusted its method of testing which reduced reported figures by 22%. In 2008 and did the same thing, taking another 12% off those figures. I doubt that many cars from 1982 could actually do 50mpg.

Thanks Mike, though I am sure that explains some of it, but still doesn't explain a drop from 63 to 35mpg for the Prius hybrid. Anyways, its not like the EPA ratings were something even vaguely accurate anyways... lol

At least we know that Jerry do not discriminate against women being software engineer. I heard a story once where one of the big corporate officer at Texas Instrument walk up to a guy at a banquet to congrat him on being selected as a TI Fellow ( I don't know what that is but apparently it's a big deal). The person who received TI Fellow was actually his wife.

As far as the technology go, I don't know, I think the development is going to slow down though. I mean does anyone really a camera that is noiseless at 25,600 ISO? It seam like most people are happy with the D3 performance. Maybe if the D3X could get faster and get less noise but the number of peole that required that kind of megapixel isn't alot and they probably aren't shooting sport either. I'm sure there is but there won't be enough demand to justify it. I'm sure in 1910 cars are breaking speed record everyday. Not so much any more...the need to go 250 mph isn't there. So in short, no, an XTI probably won't get to the D3 performance, most consumer just simply don't need or care for it. If you're a pro, you'll be willing to pay for the best and will pay a premium for the best technology.

At least we know that Jerry do not discriminate against women being software engineer. I heard a story once where one of the big corporate officer at Texas Instrument walk up to a guy at a banquet to congrat him on being selected as a TI Fellow ( I don't know what that is but apparently it's a big deal). The person who received TI Fellow was actually his wife.

As far as the technology go, I don't know, I think the development is going to slow down though. I mean does anyone really a camera that is noiseless at 25,600 ISO? It seam like most people are happy with the D3 performance. Maybe if the D3X could get faster and get less noise but the number of peole that required that kind of megapixel isn't alot and they probably aren't shooting sport either. I'm sure there is but there won't be enough demand to justify it. I'm sure in 1910 cars are breaking speed record everyday. Not so much any more...the need to go 250 mph isn't there. So in short, no, an XTI probably won't get to the D3 performance, most consumer just simply don't need or care for it. If you're a pro, you'll be willing to pay for the best and will pay a premium for the best technology.

There will always be a need for better low light performance.

That's funny, becuase my XT loaded Corel Draw 1 in 1.5 seconds... and that was "state of the art" in it's time too, so... nope, try again. :D

But back then, all we needed was 640k, not 4 or 8 or 16 gigs of RAM, so, how much did 640k (the maximum amount installable at the time) of RAM cost vs the 16gig of RAM that is the maximum on my current PC? I'd be ahead about $125 in the "old days". See what I mean?

Edit: Ya but I can do a lot more on my current PC than my your old PC

Trust me, you will need each byte of RAM and every penny for that quad core for the next big software release, becuase it will make your current speed demon into one huge sludge-fest.

Is it less than 1.5 seconds? Thats all it took to boot DOS on a bad day. ;) ...oh, did you notice that it takes longer to get through the POST today than it did back in the 80s? :) Now the BIOS has to enumerate all the hardware for PnP, and since that did not exist in the old days, thats a good 5-10 seconds saved right there.

Shut down... a joke. With an XT, if there is no app running, flip the switch...DONE.

Software functionality, OS functionality have increased, technical specifications keep rising, but I sure do not see anyone completing ANY of the tasks faster today than they took 20 years ago.

Hardware and software bloating keeps things status quo.

Apples and Oranges, you cant compare DOS to Windows vista, The only reason DOS loads faster is because its so simple compared to vista. The software is way more complex in vista.
You don't compare hardware, by changing the software...

"I'd be ahead about $125 in the "old days". See what I mean?"
No I dont see what you mean...

"Trust me, you will need each byte of RAM and every penny for that quad core for the next big software release, becuase it will make your current speed demon into one huge sludge-fest."

Na, im still good for a few years. :)

"Shut down... a joke. With an XT, if there is no app running, flip the switch...DONE."

Are you talking about the "XT" from canon? The camera?
Thats because its one piece of software, designed to do 1 thing, windows is more user friendly and has a more complex GUI, it has to close all the programs first... If you wanted to, you could press the POWER button to turn it off faster if you wish... A camera, your basically just cutting the power, since there is no reason to do stuff before it shuts off, a PC does stuff before it shuts down...

Edit: There are some bottlenecks due to HDDs being slow, but other than that, how can you say hardware HASEN'T advanced?
Go try some video editing and encoding, tell me when its done in 2048, then post results
gg

Last edited:
"Shut down... a joke. With an XT, if there is no app running, flip the switch...DONE."

Are you talking about the "XT" from canon? The camera?

No, he's talking about computers, pre x86 computers, IBM 8088 and 8089 systems, the 8088 was my first real PC, although I had owned Atari and Sinclair computers for many years before that.

No, he's talking about computers, pre x86 computers, IBM 8088 and 8089 systems, the 8088 was my first real PC, although I had owned Atari and Sinclair computers for many years before that.

My first computer had a 6502 CPU. And then I added a Z-80 processor card to run CPM.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back