Does anyone know how to get this effect?

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by sweetroxygirl, Jan 27, 2006.

1. sweetroxygirl

sweetroxygirl TPF Noob!

Hi,
    Im new.. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get this effect?
    Thanks!

Samantha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Azuth

Azuth TPF Noob!

I'm sorry but, what effect?

3. cbay

cbay TPF Noob!

4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It seems you're looking for selective desaturation done digitally - so I'll be moving this thread to the graphics forum. You'll get some more replies and demonstrations there on how to accomplish this.

Now, if you're looking on how to traditionally hand color a silver gelatin B&W print, using the classic photo oils (selectively or otherwise), then come on back and ask again in the alternative forum. :) It's a beautiful thing.

5. skylark

skylark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm a bit ashamed to admit I know something about pshop :mrgreen: but my way of doing this would be as follows (I used Pshop elements 3 on Mac)
    -Open the original file [​IMG]

-Make a new layer by copy (Layers menu->new->layer via copy

-Select the new layer and in enhance image choose colour menu and reduce saturation to get a greyscale image. The colour image is the background layer.

-Use the eraser to CAREFULLY rub out the areas of the greyscale layer, as you do so the colour layer will show through, -Finally adjust the saturation in the original layer so that it really shows thriugh (don't overdo it) if you look carefully at the bottom of the rose you can see where I have rubbed out too much overlay and the green is very vivid.

[​IMG]

It's simple but takes some practice and patience, hope this helps

CJB

6. xion

xion TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the tip. I used to select the item, create a mask and desurate the rest but your suggestion is much more accurate and earier to do.

7. machine

machine TPF Noob!

thats a cool way of doing it .i did mine a little different since i didnt know how to do it any other way,

i opened 2 images , and converted one to BW. then on the pther i used the the magnet lasso thingy and once i was done with the shape i draged it over top of the B/W and lined them up .

it also gave me the oppertunity to brigthen up up the colour beofe dragging it over .

but like i said i had no other way that i knew .

8. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Channel mixer adjustment layer - check monochrome, fiddle with the sliders to mix the R,G, and B till you get a pleasing black and white image. Then highlight the layer mask, and paint with black onto your image in any areas you want in color. If you want to make adjustments to the color parts of the image then, you have already created a mask which can be pasted into other adjustment layers, and inverted if need be.

9. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Or shoot it in black and white, develop the negative, scan it into the computer, and then raise the color level to high bit and tint it. Or not.

10. Rapala46

Rapala46 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i know this has nothing to do with anything but the girls in those pictures...oh marone...

11. ts_imagery

ts_imagery TPF Noob!

At first I thought the 'effect' that was being asked about was "how to get hot girls to pose for you". But the poster was probably asking about selective colouring.

The tutorial that cbay linked to is pretty good, although it is basically the same thing that Digital Matt said. And as skylark pointed out, it is sometimes worth adjusting the saturation of the coloured parts to really emphasize the effect.

Now, if you want to know how to get hot girls to pose for you ... well that's a much harder question. (unless you have a lot of money)

12. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    About the model thing, What was it Jim Carvel used to say about trailer parks. Not that I would know anything about that