Does anyone use AutoCAD for work?

Ghoste

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me about it and if they like it. My uncle wants me to intern at his work Pan Pacific plumbing and they will pay me to go to school and learn AutoCAD. When I start work I'll be making 27.50 an hour =D.

I used to use it as a machinist and loved it. It's a very user friendly program that has tons of features and wasn't that difficult to learn. Besides the fact that it would be free education for you that usually is a very good thing by itself.

Yeah, autocad is cool. User friendly. I personally like catia the best, but that's just my opinion.

Another program called Solidworks is gaining in popularity also.

I think my favorite of all times is FeatureCAM. It won't help you with plumbing but its an AWESOME machining program.

So if I had to leave that job, there would be plenty of other places I could get a job using AutoCAD, right?

ive used autocad since revision 14. its pretty good and works well with featurecam and mastercam and smartcam. i think youll enjoy it!

I've been using Autocad for more than 10 years. It's a great software and it has unlimited applications. If someone is offering to educate you and give you a job...go for it.

You could also further your education in the engineering (or about any other) field to really put your Autocad skills to work.

What I really like about drafting is that it's applicable to just about everything. Machining, like the guys above have said. Civil drafting...stuff like roads, utilities, civil planning, maps etc. Residential & commercial buildings...not to mention architecture, which is a whole filed unto itself. Manufacturing of just about all types, starts with drawings...someone has to make those drawings...so yes, there are lots of jobs using Autocad or similar software.

Um... I taught AutoCAD as an evening class for four years. Don't ask me how I got promoted to that job at the College. I think it was because I was Head of the Art and Design department. As my job title included 'Design' and AutoCAD is a design tool it made perfect sense to the management team at the time....
You used to be able to get AutoCAD Light - didn't have all the features but it was a tenth of the cost of the full version.

I been used Autocad since vision 6. But now days thou I use it on less 5% the jobs mostly revision changes. On my new design I use Autodesk Inventor (3D). Getting back to Autocad, it definitely learning

Most reactions

New Topics

Back