Does This "Wrong" Image Look Nice to Others As Well?

Thanks, but the point of an image is for others to enjoy it too.

We will have to agree to disagree on that. For me it's nice to have others like whatever images I may take, I do it for me. If I like it, it's a successful image.

View attachment 87507
I took this image randomly recently, and for some reason- I like it a lot (yet everything about it seems wrong and "off"). However, I can't figure out why- and I don't know if this picture is appealing to other people as well... Any thoughts?

We will have to agree to disagree on that. For me it's nice to have others like whatever images I may take, I do it for me. If I like it, it's a successful image.
I see. I was just trying to decipher why the image itself was even the slightest bit appealing to me despite all the problems it has (as stated by many people).

That is a very limited interpretation of success :icon_wink:

this picture is interesting, to me at least, and though it's not something I'd stick in my portfolio, it's not useless, photos like this I think serve well for backdrops on websites, or as textural elements in compositions, or things of that nature, I save lots of little snap shots like this that may not be photographic gold, as artistic compositions go, but still have artistic value. That being said, I do like it, even without a clearly defined subject, but art is subjective

accidental eyeglasses shot.jpg

Walking along, headed toward the neighborhood postal drop box to mail the manilla envelope in my left hand,had taken my eyeglasses off for some reason, was fumbling with my iPhone, accidentally fired off a shot using the volume button shutter release, found it two days later when I downloaded my phone to my computer. Made an Instagram shot of it.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the responses. I got exactly what I wanted: the opinions of other people.

So my personal goal in photography and view of personal success are wrong??

Interesting. I thought it was up to me to decide what I liked and considered a personal success. Silly me. :lol:

Last edited:

So my personal goal in photography and view of personal success are wrong??

Interesting. I thought it was up to me to decide what I liked and considered a person success. Silly me. :lol:
There are many definitions and interpretations of success. Neither of you guys are wrong.

you know it would almost be worth a new thread titled "why are some so concerned with what the "subject" is?

you know it would almost be worth a new thread titled "why are some so concerned with what the "subject" is?
So true. I think I may have started a debate with my post.

I think for me this photo is almost appealing. I find the OOF branches in the foreground to be a bit overwhelming. If they took up less of the frame, while remaining OOF, I think I would like the shot a lot more. As it is, I think if I came across this on my memory card, I'd just delete it.

There are FABULOUS photographs. And there are ATROCIOUS photographs. And there are many photos that fall between those two extremes.

What's interesting to me are the mishaps, the accidents, the unplanned shots. When we shot 35mm film, we used to shoot "blanks", until the frame counter got to the first frame, and then the light meter would come on, in many cameras. Anyway...so the first bit of film would be pure white, utterly over-exposed, then a half-frame where the first part was still exposed to light from the leader threading process, but about half the width of a 36mm frame would make an actual image, and then ONE, full "blank" that was often shot aimed...who knows where...

Sometimes those were interesting, those "blanks" that were snapped before the REAL roll of film was begun,when you were, you know, shooting for realz, or as we said back then, "Shooting for keeps.".

I don't care for it, how ever I do see a good photo in there if all the distracting stuff was gone, you may or may not like it better but there was part of the photo that drew my attention, the rest of the photo I found distracting.

This is what I would do with it.

IMG_3893.jpg

Most reactions

Back