Donating 1970's Film cameras to non-profit organization?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by cfcboc, Oct 19, 2017.

1. cfcboc

cfcboc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am a retired aficionado of 1970's era film cameras. I have a collection of Nikons, Nikormats,Olympus Pen, Pentax and other SLR 35 mm cameras, lenses and accessories, as will as a couple Twin Lens Reflexes and larger format 6x7 cameras and accessories. All in great condition.

I am trying to find an organization that would accept donations of such camera items, e.g. youth clubs, schools/colleges, or any non-profit associations like Lion's clubs. I would prefer not to donate simply to a Goodwill or similar national groups that simply resell donated items. Would prefer to see these cameras given to some group that can use/appreciate or learn from this equipment.

Welcome any recommendations from forum members.

[Also posting this to the general forum]

2. cfcboc

cfcboc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am a retired aficionado of 1970's era film cameras. I have a collection of Nikons, Nikormats,Olympus Pen, Pentax and other SLR 35 mm cameras, lenses and accessories, as will as a couple Twin Lens Reflexes and larger format 6x7 cameras and accessories. All in great condition.

I am trying to find an organization that would accept donations of such camera items, e.g. youth clubs, schools/colleges, or any non-profit associations like Lion's clubs. I would prefer not to donate simply to a Goodwill or similar national groups that simply resell donated items. Would prefer to see these cameras given to some group that can use/appreciate or learn from this equipment.

Welcome any recommendations from forum members.

[Also posting this to the general forum]

• Like Like x 1
  3. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Seriously, this is a good place to do so. That's how I got started, not by someone giving me one but by reading all the posts in the film section here. It got me real interested and now I shoot film quite often. There are probably a few people on here that would like to get into film photography but can't afford the cost of the hardware. I have given a couple away and received a couple. I have more to give away but just finding the time to do so. There are some generous people that post here and given away thousands worth of film gear. I just gave away a $300 valued film camera to someone who will use it, I just didn't make it public this time out because I knew their desire for one.

If you don't want the bother of all that, I assume you may investigate your local colleges to see if they have film photography courses. However, at least here, you know they will go to good use.

4. webestang64

webestang64 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SoulfulRecover

SoulfulRecover Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I feel like your best bet would be an Art Institute that has a photography program. The kids would be able to check them out from the school to use for classes or for fun

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A local high school or community college that still teaches photography.

• Like Like x 2
  7. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Both of the above... I'd try high schools, colleges, tech/vocational schools, community art centers, etc. It might take contacting a number of places to find out if they can use the equipment.

Your description made me drool on my keyboard at the thought, so it's probably a matter of finding a place that teaches photography and would love to have all that equipment.

8. OldManJim

OldManJim TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you get no takers for donated film equipment, I'd consider selling it and donating the proceeds to a favorite charity or two. You might find your collection is worth several hundreds of dollars and you could use that money to fund a group of aspiring photographers if you like.

I mention this because I donated a complete darkroom setup for 35mm, MF and LF equipment to my local high school only to find that 4 years later, they threw it all out!

• Like Like x 1
  9. webestang64

webestang64 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  10. cfcboc

cfcboc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for the suggestion of donating to an interested beginner. I may well do a few pieces like that if I can sort out the ones in need versus getting something free and reselling. Also as a retired pensioner, the ability to get some tax deduction credit for a donation to a non-profit would be awfully handy at tax time!

11. cfcboc

cfcboc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, tried that. Area high schools and local community colleges only interested in digital equipment, noting that their push is with graphic arts and digital photo-editing.

12. cfcboc

cfcboc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Yes, I also fear that a donation would be accepted but later discarded and it seems a waste of some very fine camera equipment and optics.

Selling the equipment and donating the proceeds is an interesting idea, but I have very limited experience selling online and at times the process of listing and selling proved very time consuming.