DSLR MADNESS, NEED HELP.

ultrajeeps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a self taught mediocre photographer and have been very happy with my 35mm SLRs. Recently (about 8 months ago...-)) I decided to look into PRO DSLRs. And after a very long research, I decided upon FUJI S2 which seemed decent and within my budget. Well, the other day, I stumbled upon Olympus Evolt 300 which seemed much better deal than Fuji in everyway. So I did more research and checked out its reviews on dpreviews.com. No one had anything bad to say about this camera at all, I like the fact that it delivers more than FUJI s2, comes with lens and a nice memory card, and a lens. I have some question that I just couldn't answer for myself and would appreciate it if you can bless me with your thoughts on them.

As I to understand that the Evolt comes with 14mm to 45mm lens. I would like to know if this 14mm lens can deliver the same wide angle shots as my analog nikkor lens?

Fuji S2 is 6MP and it will allow me to use my nikkor lens. Will it make a drastic difference in picture QUALITY comparing to an 8MP?

If I go with Fuji S2, I would not need to buy lenses which a big plus.

I would highly appreciate any help.

The S2 is relatively old while it is still a good camera.

The olympus is a great camera

Using you 14mm lense will not give you the full wide it would on film,i dont know what the FOV crop on the e300 is but ill assume it as 1.6 but maybe it is less because it is 2/3 sensors that have 1.6FOVC? (someone will know this) but using 1.6 (14x1.6) you get a 22mm equivelant lens, not a HUGE difference but a considerable one.

With the quality the resolution isnt key, but the quality of each pixel, 6 and 8mp isnt a huge difference but i can guarentee you will be happy with the quality off the olympus sensor

Can some answer if it is 1.6 fovc on the e300? or is it something else (i was guessing because it dosent list it on the olympus site)

Hopew that helped

The 4/3 system has a FOV crop of 2, so the 14-45 is a 28-90 equivalent, which is a nice range.

For me the drawbacks are the viewfinder, which has to be dimmer than the Fuji ( and nearly anything else) and the relatively small (and expensive) lens pool from Olympus.

As more of the 4/3 companies get on board that will change. As more 3rd party lens makers support the platform that will also improve the lens selections.

I purchased the nikon d70, and I love it. I have a ton of inexpensive, great glass to buy (used) on ebay, and I couldn't be happier. I looked at the Olympus (I liked the build and look and feel in my hands) but it simply doesn't haev the glass behind it to support that kind of investment. What I like about nikon and canon is the fact that the camera body will always change (especially with dSLR bodies and technology's pace), but the glass you can always use and will not lose its value.

Craig

Wow...

You do realize that with the 2x crop factor, the viewfinder will be 4 times dimmer than on a 35mm camera?

Cliffs:

all nikon's 4/3 sensors have a 1.5 fovc. canon's 3/2 sensors have a 1.6. The fuji s2 pro has a 1.5 fovc. Don't ask my why olympus made thier system have a 4/3 w/ fovc of 2, to me, that's rediculus. Maybe they were trying to appeal to sports photographers.

all the viewfinders will be dimmer than a their 35mm equivilents, but the e300's is rediculusly low (IMHO) by 4 times.

You will almost never notice the dfference between 8 and 6 mp. anyone who tells you that it is serious andvantage to go 8 mp over 6 is an idiot. The e300's sensor is still good, don't get me wrong, but the resolution difference is no reason to get one over the other.

I'll risk being an idiot ;) by commenting that if you choose to go canon, the difference between 8pm cameras and 6mp is asounding in terms of high ISO capability.

DocFrankenstein said:
I'll risk being an idiot ;) by commenting that if you choose to go canon, the difference between 8pm cameras and 6mp is asounding in terms of high ISO capability.

Not from the sensor but from the processor. It's the same one that is used in their top of the line EOS-1Ds Mark II :drool:

steve817 said:
Not from the sensor but from the processor. It's the same one that is used in their top of the line EOS-1Ds Mark II :drool:

exactly. if you somehow got a d70 with 8 mp, but the same processor as the regular 6 mp, it would be hardly any difference. the only way to really notice a difference is if you blow up your pictures into posters and such.

my suggestion: get the nikon d70. it is a wonderful camera, one of the best (and most popular) dSLRs on the market. it also accepts nikon glass (duh). that's what i would go for. that's just me though :D

steve817 said:
Processor too, but the sensor is lower noise and it collects more light because every photocell has a microlens over it, thus getting more detail and less noise.

D70 doesn't allow you to shoot in Av with manual lenses I beleive, even with Nikkors.

canons on the other hand accept 6 mounts of manual lenses and meter them without any problems.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back