Dump that AA filter - Hot-Rodding your dSLR

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Iron Flatline, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Found an interesting site...

Not sure who exactly LDP / MaxMax are. I found the link in a thread over at the Leica Forums. They do camera conversions and remove IR filters, or AA filters. Check out their site.

The AA removal/conversion is particularly interesting.

Pasted directly from their site:

Kinda cool, no?

Here's a link directly to the AA removal page, with various samples, including two RAW files with and without AA filter.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Interesting...

3. Here's a study done with a converted D200.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The only thing that makes me question the validity of thier argument (barring the fact that it is there job and they are wanting you to pay for their services) is the Order Checkout at the bottom ;)

a little cheeky I feel to assume that that argument is all that is needed to prove their point and make you purchase their product

5. LOL, yeah. The site is definitely "hand-crafted" looking...

6. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I sometimes have those problems with the filter still on the sensor, in particular in architectural photography, where you can have many regularly textured surfaces, so I would not dare to remove it as it would get worse.

7. notelliot

notelliot TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been wanting to do this for a while. Originally with my D70s, now my D300. Kodak's DSLR never had/doesn't have one, which I've heard good and bad about. For portraits and general editorial photos, I think it would be beneficial. For landscape and architectural photography, probably not so much.

8. Leica (with Kodak sensor) doesn't have one either, which is why the people at the Leica Forum are so aware of this.

9. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think it would increase the apparent resolution for printing but cause more problems than it would solve for LCD display.

Cool find though! Thanks Iron!

10. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've seen this before, but I'm hesitant. I'd rather a slightly softer image than a horrid moire pattern which can happen in situations as innocently as taking a photo of someone wearing one of many kinds of fabrics. That and their examples really look like sharpened JPGs on the left and unsharpened straight from raw on the right. Looks like the colours have shifted slightly too which is no surprise when you play with the IR filter.

Not sure about anyone else here, but if you're into this level of pixel peeping maybe it's time to grab a film camera and start back at the basics :D

11. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I read that one a long time ago, it is very interesting indeed! Yes there are some advantages, but apparently there were a few down sides to it. I cannot recall completely if it was something to do with screwing up the metering system, moire or focus... anyways, thought it sounded like a good idea, it did "break" something else.

Like any commercial product, they are all built on compromises. The moment they do something to raise the performance, things like reliability, price or other aspects of performance become issues.