Dunstanburgh Castle, northern England

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just posting these two oversaturated images out ofr boredom :p

[EDIT:] Just a comment on colours and light: These two were taken in a warm-ish winter-sun, so colours are real on these, I just pushed saturation a bit (not as much as you might think).

1: here I was lucky, since the clouds made the sun shine on the castle walls a bit like a spot light
northern04_054.jpg

2:
northern04_050.jpg

Oh please: be bored MORE OFTEN!!!

I like them.
Mostly so their over-saturation!
With a sky like this I find it quite fitting and find colours in reality tend to become this intense in this special light, too. So I believe you the colours! Easily.

By the way: I am ALL TAKEN IN by your composition of the second photo!
Going against every rule was the best you could do here!!!!

With a sky like this I find it quite fitting and find colours in reality tend to become this intense in this special light, too. So I believe you the colours! Easily.

Thanks! I added a comment in my original post on that ;)

By the way: I am ALL TAKEN IN by your composition of the second photo!
Going against every rule was the best you could do here!!!!
I cannot see where the second breaks any rule ;) In one dimension it even follows the boring "rule" of thirds .. and the subject is dead centred, which is very common in a certain type of architectural images where you have converging lines.

As for the first one, one could argue over the crop, but I wanted to show the whole castle wall, so I did not have much choice...

OH, and I wonder if this should be landscape? .. but then again, it is not centred on a landscape in that sense...

OK, let me put it this way: following all the rules there are (or your instinct or feeling or whatever) when you set out to take Photo 2 was the best you could do! :clap: :hail: :cheer: :thumbup: and all!

Fantastic spot for photography - nearby Bamburgh castle is great too

No 1 I think is o.k on the saturation, strong but not too much

No 2 I like the composition, as mentioned it breaks the "rule of thirds" as the main subject is pretty central - as the saying goes though "rules are made to be broken"

The saturation on 2 for me though is too strong - the grass is heavily saturated but the effect works well, not exactly natural but very effective just the same . The problem for me though is the colour of the castle - it looks to have a green tint, which for me personally suggests the saturation is a little too much

simon

You could crop out some of the foreground on the second one to bring it within "The Rules" but I didn't follow the rules in High School and I am certainly not going to start now.LOL
Cosmo

The oversaturation works great. Great colour and composition. Although these don't exactly follow the 'boring' rules, the composition is perfect for these. You did an incredible job capturing these beautiful castle. I really like the wider angle on the first. By the way, the lighting is near perfect.

-Will

Thanks all :) So I might dig out some more things over time and post here ...

The problem for me though is the colour of the castle - it looks to have a green tint, which for me personally suggests the saturation is a little too much

Hmm, strange, now that you mention it: I processed the image on my calibrated desktop screen, where it had no green tint, but now, on my laptop, it shows the effect you mention. So it is maybe just at the borderline. Maybe I'll try to cut back saturation, at least locally.

As for Bamburgh, I know that place too, I agree it is great, but everytime I got there in the past 15 years, it was close to sunset and impossible to get only one decent shot ... maybe I should plan my routes differently in the future ;)

Stunning images, Alex_B! The contrast of that dark ominous sky against the sun-lit castle walls is beautiful. I also love the colour of the fields in the foreground in the second pic.

thanks Antarctican :)

will try to dig out more images of that type ...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back