Early EOS lenses, a great build quality bargain, but not much info

DSLR noob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
(if you are an early EOS guru and don't want to read the little backstory, skip ahead to the red text and beyond for the questions I have)

Hello everyone, so far I have 2 early EOS lenses. Both manufactured in 1987 by the seriel numbers actually. A 50mm f/1.8 Mk I (I love this lens) that I got with my 20D about a month ago, and a Canon 28-70 3.5-4/5 Mk I just a few days ago (for only $60 and I also love this thing to death). Now, these lenses have metal lens mounts and distance scales. I don't mind the loud autofocus, its still faster than most (non-USM)lenses today and just as accurate. However, trying to find reviews on this lesn, I could only find stuff on the Mk II version of the 28-70 3.5-4.5 and they love th ebloody thing. Now they say this is one of the best zooms you can buy that isn't an L-series zoom. However one review worried me, it had in all caps "MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE "II" VERSION!" and that upsets me because I have a Mk I but I still love it to death, I just don;t know what's wrong. So 2 questions for those who don't want to read.

1) What is the difference between the Canon EF 28-70 3.5-4.5 and the Canon EF 28-70 3.5-4.5 II?

2) Are there any more bargain budget gems from the late 80s early 90s that I could get my hands on (prime or zoom) that deliver GREAT quality for cheap? I actually seem to own the only 2 I've heard about, I'm wondering if anything else gives this (I'm quoting from reviews and I have no L to compare to so I don't know how true it is) "Just short of L quality" IQ.

Thanks.

HERE is a link that might be helpful.
One old lens that I have tried to get my hands on is the 80-200 F2.8 L....a.k.a. 'The Magic Drainpipe'
The 28-70 F2.8 L is the older version of the popular 24-70 F2.8 L.

Thanks, from what I get, my lens has metal internals, but slightly different optics that lose a hair of sharpness, the II has plastic gearing and slightly better optics. Both have that sub-L/ high end non-L quality.

Most reactions

Back