Early farthers day gift to myself!?

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Put in my order for some new glass today and I can't wait to get it. I see there have been some questions surrounding these lenses lately so I will answer what I have found as well as ask a question or two of my own.

Sigma 24-70mm EX f/2.8 DG-DF
db_1_b.JPG

Here is what I found before the purchase . . .

Filter size is 82mm

f/2.8 is constant

The lens coatings are "optimized" for digital but it is possible to use on a film body. The lens WILL fit both digital and film.

Many reviews state that this lens is actually sharper than it's much more expensive Canon 28-80mm f/2.8 L - Although some people have complained of softness wide open. These were generally replaced by Sigma under warranty and the issue was resolved.

What I do not know is . . .

Is the DG-DF also the macro version? I have seen them listed both ways (ie: DG-DF Macro or simply DG-DF) Now the reason for the confusion is that all the specs I can find list a magnification factor of 1:3.8 and seems to be consistant whether it is listed as the "Macro" version or simply the DG-DF. Also there are DG only versions available that usually list out for a little less money. I also understand that the "DF" stands for "Dual Focus" but don't know if that pertains to Macro capability or not.

Second question, is there a Cokin square filter system that will work with 82mm and up? I currently have the smaller 67mm version and need a bigger one if there is one. Also would the cokin system be cheaper than screw in filters for say C-PL and ND filters? How about grad ND and star filters?

While I don't know the answers to your questions, I wanted to congratulate you on the purchase and on the upcoming Father's Day!

Thanks! You too? (Don't remember?) Anyway I think I may re-post some of this with a little less self centered title. I think it's driving some possible prospective answer-ees away :confused:

Most reactions

Back