jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wonderful weather today, so I got myself over to the Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area for a very muddy walk. Not much in the way of birds right now, but a nice showing by the ETSBs.

1 Swallowtail on Pickerelweed.
may20202301 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

2 Swallowtail Pair
may20202302 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

3 Swallowtail on Pickerelweed.
may20202303 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

4 I was today days old when I learned that butterflies feed on more than just flower nectar...
may20202304 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

5 Swallowtail and Shadow
may20202305 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

6 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
may20202306 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

7 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail with Wings Spread
may20202307 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

These are wonderful! I love the close up views of the butterflies as well as the flowers. They are gorgeous!

I was today days old when I learned that butterflies feed on more than just flower nectar...
Not sure what you mean, and I'm now afraid to ask what that stuff is.... :icon_eek:

These are wonderful! I love the close up views of the butterflies as well as the flowers. They are gorgeous!

Not sure what you mean, and I'm now afraid to ask what that stuff is.... :icon_eek:
Thank you! It's, um, bird poop... and that wasn't the only butterfly I found feeding on that stuff...

They love poop lol. They get their minerals and water from puddling in mud. Throw down some mud with a bit of manure mixed in and the swallowtails will show up to party.

Thank you! It's, um, bird poop... and that wasn't the only butterfly I found feeding on that stuff...
Yeah, I kinda suspected that was the case. I've heard of the "puddling" behavior. It's how they pick up nutrients, apparently. Yummy! :icon_puke_r:

Wonderful weather today, so I got myself over to the Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area for a very muddy walk. Not much in the way of birds right now, but a nice showing by the ETSBs.

1 Swallowtail on Pickerelweed.
may20202301 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

2 Swallowtail Pair
may20202302 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

3 Swallowtail on Pickerelweed.
may20202303 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

4 I was today days old when I learned that butterflies feed on more than just flower nectar...
may20202304 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

5 Swallowtail and Shadow
may20202305 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

6 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
may20202306 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

7 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail with Wings Spread
may20202307 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr
Great set!

Well... that puts the kybosh on my post. I also had some of them ,however, mine had succumbed to the heat inside a greenhouse. I tried different colors of background to see how they looked but this green seemed to be the best.
IMG_3469 - Copy.jpg

Well... that puts the kybosh on my post. I also had some of them ,however, mine had succumbed to the heat inside a greenhouse. I tried different colors of background to see how they looked but this green seemed to be the best.View attachment 266041
Green and yellow make a nice contrast.

Very nice set.

Most reactions

Back