Editing in gimp.

asheeants

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello again all! So I just downloaded gimp 2. The first thing I wanted to try was how to sharpen an image. I looked on you tube, and other sites for tutorials to show me how. I must be an idiot because I can't find it. Even the ones that say for gimp 2, as I go through the process the step they have doesn't exist. So can you guys lend a hand and explain how this is done? I don't have photo shop so whether it be gimp or any other free editing software I would just like to learn how to sharpen an image. Fill free to edit this one.

DSC_0407-2.jpg

Im sorry but I dont use gimp but Im sure someone on here will come to your aid, its a popular program. It does seem underexposed so when I brightened it up in PSE it became a tad noisy so I'd suggest to lighten some first then decide to sharpen.
Just a thought.

it does seem underexposed
I agree - and ultimately this leads me to suggest that if It is possible - simply re-shoot the picture rather than 'polishing' something that wasn't quite there in the first place. Sharpening an image can also create noise - I don't think you're going to be able to really get this picture the way you want it.

Gimp is a fantastic program - If you're into Post Processing images - Have a look at Lightroom too - It could really help you out.

I've had a little play with it in Gimp 2.6.6 -> It's pretty much the limit of what I'm able to get out of the picture without it becoming to noisy, I've softened it a little too - but any more and you lose the little subtle shadows that give her face shape, and I personally hate images that are too soft - Maybe re-shoot with a lower ISO and larger aperture, maybe only 1 stop is needed.

4754681237_8fc1637d6f_b.jpg

I think this image could be improved if it was cropped differently too - I don't like how her arm is cut off at the edge of the frame...

Last edited:
A little trick I recently discovered when sharpening, don't try to do it all in one pass. Keep the diameter low (top slider, like 1-3 clicks above the minimum) and the second slider (I don't have it in front of me, don't remember names) do a little more than the first.

If this doesn't sharpen it enough, you can do it again. It keeps it from getting that PP halo effect and does a good job pulling details out.

Im sorry but I dont use gimp but Im sure someone on here will come to your aid, its a popular program. It does seem underexposed so when I brightened it up in PSE it became a tad noisy so I'd suggest to lighten some first then decide to sharpen.
Just a thought.
Thanks I'll do that

it does seem underexposed
I agree - and ultimately this leads me to suggest that if It is possible - simply re-shoot the picture rather than 'polishing' something that wasn't quite there in the first place. Sharpening an image can also create noise - I don't think you're going to be able to really get this picture the way you want it.

Gimp is a fantastic program - If you're into Post Processing images - Have a look at Lightroom too - It could really help you out.

I've had a little play with it in Gimp 2.6.6 -> It's pretty much the limit of what I'm able to get out of the picture without it becoming to noisy, I've softened it a little too - but any more and you lose the little subtle shadows that give her face shape, and I personally hate images that are too soft - Maybe re-shoot with a lower ISO and larger aperture, maybe only 1 stop is needed.

4754681237_8fc1637d6f_b.jpg

I think this image could be improved if it was cropped differently too - I don't like how her arm is cut off at the edge of the frame...

I like what ya did with it, garnet there wasn't much you could do but this is an improvement for sure. You lightened up my face, and brought my eyes out a bit. This was merely a practice picture, just a random photo I found of myself that I thought I would try to fix. Could you kind of walk me through what you did. I cropped it the way I did because of the background I believe, there was just too much going on. I agree that it does look rather odd that way.

A little trick I recently discovered when sharpening, don't try to do it all in one pass. Keep the diameter low (top slider, like 1-3 clicks above the minimum) and the second slider (I don't have it in front of me, don't remember names) do a little more than the first.

If this doesn't sharpen it enough, you can do it again. It keeps it from getting that PP halo effect and does a good job pulling details out.

I'm sure this is good advice, but I am so not experienced enough with editing to know what you're talking about. haha

Keep poking at it and you'll eventually get it. It takes some time, I've been working at it for over a year and I'm still not very good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back