Effects of colored filters for B&W using a dslr

John E.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Planning on getting a dslr and filters to shoot black and white.

I had noticed when converting color to B&W with my point and shoot using PS I would end up with way to much noise to get the tones I wanted. Some pictures I ended up discarding or settled for the noise. The camera was a 4 megapixil, now defunct :grumpy:

With a higher megapixal camera and lense I know there will be much less noise during B&W conversions. I always try to get the biggest bang for my buck, so I was wondering if using filters for B&W would really make a difference with noise levels ?

I plan on shooting raw if that makes any difference or not. I tried searching for answers but there is very little written on the subject.

Just so you know, not all DSLR's can shoot in black and white. I believe the ones that do simply take a color photo and convert it for you. I would much rather use photoshop to do the conversion rather then the camera. Because of this, I believe the color filters will do you no good?

K

I agree kfoster shooting in B&W would be a waste of time. I should have elaborated more in my post.

What I was planning to do is attach the filter of choice and shoot in color. This should require less manipulation to get the tones I desire and in theory cut down on noise during conversion. From my limited experience so far, the more one plays with an image the worse the image gets for noise and clarity. Trying to fix a poorly exposed image one usually ends up with a picture of bad quality.

Use the channel mixer in photoshop. If you have a correctly exposed photo you will not see extra noise. You can simulate any colored filter with it.

Channel mixer is a great tool.

Or just delete the channels you don't want. HEHE

If you do decide to use filters on a DSLR you need to shoot in RAW mode. Because the auto white balance will try to adjust for the filter.

Most reactions

Back