Einstain E640 vs AlienBees B1600

hombredelmar

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have noticed that one company makes both flash units and Einstain E640=500.00 dollars while AlienBees B1600 that is almost 3 times more powerfull and costs only 359.00.
Wanted to know the difference and why someone would buy Einstain E640 over Alient Bees B1600?
Thank you once again!

Just realized that both units are 640 Ws but still would like to know why these two units are different in price?

Last edited:
You should ask the Paul C. Buff company to get it straight from them. Just a guess; the Einsteins have a more advanced technology.

Toyota Yaris vs Lexus LFA. Why is the Lexus more expensive? They are both made by Toyota? Like designer said it is what's inside and out. If you compare the important aspects of both you will see the difference.

Toyota Yaris vs Lexus LFA. Why is the Lexus more expensive? They are both made by Toyota? Like designer said it is what's inside and out. If you compare the important aspects of both you will see the difference.

I was hoping to hear from someone who has direct knowledge about the units, perhaps someone who owns one.
Thanks anyway

You should ask the Paul C. Buff company to get it straight from them. Just a guess; the Einsteins have a more advanced technology.

Thank you, calling is a good idea.

I have noticed that one company makes both flash units and Einstain E640=500.00 dollars while AlienBees B1600 that is almost 3 times more powerfull and costs only 359.00.
Wanted to know the difference and why I someone buy Einstain E640 over Alient Bees B1600?
Thank you once again!

Just realized that both units are 640 Ws but still would like to know why these two units are different in price?

You need to carefully read the product page descriptions at Paul C. Buff, Inc.. All details are presented to you.

There is a huge difference in these models.

The Alienbees and White Lightnings are about the same electronics inside. The Alienbees are the adequate but inexpensive construction, and the White Lightnings are the robust construction, can drive over them with tanks. :)

The Einsteins are a different horse of another color. Studio lights (all of them, all brands, including Alienbees and White Lightning) become more red at low power. Whereas camera speedlights (all of them, all brands) become more blue at low power. White balance is a concern. Einstein combines these two methods simultaneously, carefully controlled so that the color shift of one method offsets the color shift of the other way. So Constant Color is one feature, which other lights of any brand cannot claim. Also the speedlight methodology in the Einsteins make them be extremely fast (short duration) compared to other studio lights.

Compare the speed ratings of the Einstein and the Alienbees B1600. Big flashes turned way down are red and slow.

Some models of White Lightning switch in more or less capacitors for low power. This prevents much of the red shift, and it makes a big flash become a small flash, which becomes very fast.

Read the specs.

Paul C. Buff started making cylindrical monolights, painted white, with built-in reflectors, and they looked like large-sized tin coffee cans. The WL 5,000 and 10,000 were the names. IMMSMC WHITE LIGHTING 5,000 + photo - Google Search

Next came his sexier White Lighting Ultra series, which remain to this day. Then came Alien Bees, in bright neon colors and a new small-body form factor. He then developed a pack-and-head system, the Zeuss system. Then came the long, difficult quest to develop a modern, high-tech, high-specification light, which was a venture filled with loooong delays and setbacks in suppliers and sourcing, and also a included a personal tantrum by Buff himself, in public, on his then-active web forum centered around Buff company lights, and also in a bitter, public, on-line feud with his detractors in the dPreview lighting forum. Basically, the poor performance of the Alien Bee and White Lightning reflectors came under heavy fire for poor light distribution, and Buff took umbrage at the criticisms, which were...deserved and accurate. He got very P-O'd about what he called "Euro-lights", and the people who advocated better-made lights from Europe.

As I recall, he was banned from the dPReview forums, and he also SHUT DOWN his own forum on his own company's server after continuing, direct criticism from members. Last time I checked, the forum archive had been re-opened and made available, and it has a wealth of information. On that forum his user name was Paul C Buff, spelled backward.

Anyway...for the Einsteins, he decided to build a higher-tech flash, with faster flash durations, and VERY consistent color temperature even with the power levels dialed way down. He also decided to stop grossly inflating the perceived power level by no longer naming the units a number value that was two or three times their stored Watt-seconds, which had been an issue that many detractors threw up in his face for years. For example, the Flashpoint 320M actually puts out MORE light than an Alien Bee 400, and is about equal to the light output of the Alien Bee 800, and costs $149 and $179 less than those two units--for more, or the same flash output. A Speedotron 400 W-s flash is about the same as an White Lighting 1600 in terms of flash output...you know, in actual LIGHT. Now, this is a guy who started with "5,000" and "10,000" model numbers...as a way to confuse and mislead buyers, in my opinion. Again: flash is often bought based on comparing specifications, and the actual model number is one way to confuse/direct customer attention.

Studio flash is often bought sight-unseen, by people perusing specification lists. Since the internet has developed, B.S. is harder to hide, and there is MUCH MORE REAL, and accurate information that is available and widely-disseminated now that we have the internet as a way to share information among thousands of actual customers. Buff joining the dPreview lighting forum, and later starting his own forum, brought a LOT of issues out into the light of day, with searchable results just seconds away. Buff got personally offended by the criticisms of his AB and WL light modifiers, and I think vowed to make MUCH BETTER modifiers, with better shapes, and better light-distributing properties, and he set out to build his company's BEST light unit EVER. Best design, best specifications, best performance, and a model number that would ensure its success in the marketplace. The Einstein 640 is the culmination of his lifetime of work devoted to studio flash. It is a much more-advanced, technically-better, and practically better light than anything his company has sold over the last 30 years. Studio flash is almost exclusively sold by specification, not by demonstration. In the Eisntein 640, BUff designed a monolight that hits sooooo many specifications and must-haves that it has become his most-respected product.

If you want to read a LOT of detailed info about the Einsteins and why they are Buff's best, look for John Fisher's excellent write-ups on modelmayhem.com, like this one: ModelMayhem.com - The New Einstein Monolight Studio Strobe, Part III

From my experience and reading different views you get more control and consistency from the Einstein. Alien bee is awesome, but if you want great coloring and more exact power you go with Einstein.

You might want to check the specs again. Both units go up to 640 watt seconds.

And one is called a 640, while the older design is called a "1600". Again...the strategy of naming the original Buff lights "5,000" and "10,000". The Buff company has had a loooong history of deceptive naming practices, in an effort to make uneducated customers think its flashes were more-powerful than those of other companies.

From the White Lighting 10,000 and White Lighting 5,000 manual, found here:http://www.paulcbuff.com/manuals/wl5k10k.pdf

" The WL 10,000 delivers 250 true wattseconds of energy per flash, and the WL 5,000 delivers 130 true wattseconds of energy per flash."

Wanted to know the difference and why I someone buy Einstain E640 over Alient Bees B1600?
Thank you once again!

You need to carefully read the product page descriptions at Paul C. Buff, Inc.. All details are presented to you.

There is a huge difference in these models.

The Alienbees and White Lightnings are about the same electronics inside. The Alienbees are the adequate but inexpensive construction, and the White Lightnings are the robust construction, can drive over them with tanks. :)

The Einsteins are a different horse of another color. Studio lights (all of them, all brands, including Alienbees and White Lightning) become more red at low power. Whereas camera speedlights (all of them, all brands) become more blue at low power. White balance is a concern. Einstein combines these two methods simultaneously, carefully controlled so that the color shift of one method offsets the color shift of the other way. So Constant Color is one feature, which other lights of any brand cannot claim. Also the speedlight methodology in the Einsteins make them be extremely fast (short duration) compared to other studio lights.

Compare the speed ratings of the Einstein and the Alienbees B1600. Big flashes turned way down are red and slow.

Some models of White Lightning switch in more or less capacitors for low power. This prevents much of the red shift, and it makes a big flash become a small flash, which becomes very fast.

Read the specs.

WayneF, thank you for your informative answer, I got a lot of information from it. I will definitely contact the company. Now, I am better prepared for the conversation.
Once again, thank you for sharing your knowledge!!!!!

Paul C. Buff started making cylindrical monolights, painted white, with built-in reflectors, and they looked like large-sized tin coffee cans. The WL 5,000 and 10,000 were the names. IMMSMC WHITE LIGHTING 5,000 + photo - Google Search

Next came his sexier White Lighting Ultra series, which remain to this day. Then came Alien Bees, in bright neon colors and a new small-body form factor. He then developed a pack-and-head system, the Zeuss system. Then came the long, difficult quest to develop a modern, high-tech, high-specification light, which was a venture filled with loooong delays and setbacks in suppliers and sourcing, and also a included a personal tantrum by Buff himself, in public, on his then-active web forum centered around Buff company lights, and also in a bitter, public, on-line feud with his detractors in the dPreview lighting forum. Basically, the poor performance of the Alien Bee and White Lightning reflectors came under heavy fire for poor light distribution, and Buff took umbrage at the criticisms, which were...deserved and accurate. He got very P-O'd about what he called "Euro-lights", and the people who advocated better-made lights from Europe.

As I recall, he was banned from the dPReview forums, and he also SHUT DOWN his own forum on his own company's server after continuing, direct criticism from members. Last time I checked, the forum archive had been re-opened and made available, and it has a wealth of information. On that forum his user name was Paul C Buff, spelled backward.

Anyway...for the Einsteins, he decided to build a higher-tech flash, with faster flash durations, and VERY consistent color temperature even with the power levels dialed way down. He also decided to stop grossly inflating the perceived power level by no longer naming the units a number value that was two or three times their stored Watt-seconds, which had been an issue that many detractors threw up in his face for years. For example, the Flashpoint 320M actually puts out MORE light than an Alien Bee 400, and is about equal to the light output of the Alien Bee 800, and costs $149 and $179 less than those two units--for more, or the same flash output. A Speedotron 400 W-s flash is about the same as an White Lighting 1600 in terms of flash output...you know, in actual LIGHT. Now, this is a guy who started with "5,000" and "10,000" model numbers...as a way to confuse and mislead buyers, in my opinion. Again: flash is often bought based on comparing specifications, and the actual model number is one way to confuse/direct customer attention.

Studio flash is often bought sight-unseen, by people perusing specification lists. Since the internet has developed, B.S. is harder to hide, and there is MUCH MORE REAL, and accurate information that is available and widely-disseminated now that we have the internet as a way to share information among thousands of actual customers. Buff joining the dPreview lighting forum, and later starting his own forum, brought a LOT of issues out into the light of day, with searchable results just seconds away. Buff got personally offended by the criticisms of his AB and WL light modifiers, and I think vowed to make MUCH BETTER modifiers, with better shapes, and better light-distributing properties, and he set out to build his company's BEST light unit EVER. Best design, best specifications, best performance, and a model number that would ensure its success in the marketplace. The Einstein 640 is the culmination of his lifetime of work devoted to studio flash. It is a much more-advanced, technically-better, and practically better light than anything his company has sold over the last 30 years. Studio flash is almost exclusively sold by specification, not by demonstration. In the Eisntein 640, BUff designed a monolight that hits sooooo many specifications and must-haves that it has become his most-respected product.

If you want to read a LOT of detailed info about the Einsteins and why they are Buff's best, look for John Fisher's excellent write-ups on modelmayhem.com, like this one: ModelMayhem.com - The New Einstein Monolight Studio Strobe, Part III

Before I posted this topic I went to the Paul C. Buff web site and looked at the specs of different portable light units including portable power systems, something that I was originally researching, I printed out some manuals to go over at my free time. I also went to the forum, at the web site, where I did not find much so I decided to get some insights from this forum. There is some information that you shared was not new to me and if I am not mistaken the key points of the unit (Einstein 640) is that it is:

1. Works consistently in low power
  2. Faster flash duration
  3. Technically advanced
Among other options and the fact that this particular unit was the best (technologically advanced) unit he ever built.
When it comes to flash duration, unless it is directly responsible for longer lasting charge of a battery I might not be able to capitalize on it since I am not planning to freeze he action of my subject

I could of asked it before, but are the any other brands that are less expensive that would give me similar quality/result?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From my experience and reading different views you get more control and consistency from the Einstein. Alien bee is awesome, but if you want great coloring and more exact power you go with Einstein.

Thak you,
From what i read by now this is the most important factor

You are right it does go to 640

I am not mistaken the key points of the unit (Einstein 640) is that it is:

1. Works consistently in low power
  2. Faster flash duration
  3. Technically advanced
Among other options and the fact that this particular unit was the best (technologically advanced) unit he ever built.

Possibly the best than anyone has ever built. Certainly for a price under several thousand dollars.

Paul Buff has set standards for quite a few years. First the White Lightnings for monolights. Then Alienbees for less expensive but good lights. Now the Einsteins for constant color. The others will have to follow again soon.

Paul Buff is claimed to have more than half of the US market. Searches on Google makes this be very easy to believe. I have four Alienbees.

are the any other brands that are less expensive that would give me similar quality/result?

There are several cheap flash brands. Alienbees is the GOOD inexpensive flash. Compare the specs. The cheap ones don't mention much in the way of their specs.

Most reactions

Back