Einsteins?

So, with the speedtron I am using a power pack always, right? And the power pack is what determines the output of the light?

Yeah...the power pack has 3,4, or 6 outlets in Speedotron. MOST have 4 outlets; older, 1200, 2400,and 4800 watt-second packs have SIX outlets, in three different power channels, plus a "variator" or 1/3 stop click-stopped adjustment dial over a three f/stop range, basically.

Right now, today, the week before Christmas, there are four absolutely fantastic deals on some older Speedo gear. I prefer the 2403 or 2401 packs...six outlets, three channels, built like a battleship. There are two 2401 packs for $199 each, Buy It Now. And a 1201A for also the same price. All are 6-outlet packs. NEWER 1200- and 2400-packs are 4-outlets.

With a 2400 W-S pack, you can have six lights, all at 400 W-S. Or, one at 1200, and 3 at 400. Or three at 600 w-s, or 2 heads at 1200,whatever. HUNDREDS of combinations. The power packs use a combination of switches and the variator, to determine the light output combos. 56 to over 500 discrete power output levels and combos, depending on the pack in use.

Black Line lighting units ALL use the Speedotron Universal Mount bayonet-mounting accessories. Brown Line has only ONE flash head that uses Universal Mount, and that is the M-11 or M-11 Q flash head. Brown Line power supplies are all 4-outlet,two channel, with much less adjustability,and have no click-stopped power dial-down.

Here is an article on Speedo gear that I wrote in May of 2008. Derrel's Photography Blog: My 99th Blog Post: Speedotron Overview 2008

I think I am getting it here.... but there are times I think I am getting it and I totally miss the bus too. So...

Where I am dialing my power on my monolights now the dial would be the equivalent of the variator to limit my output to less than what I have set thru the powerpack. For example if I had 4 units on a 1200WS pack set at 300WS each, I could reduce the output on each individual light using the variator? Correct?

I am off to read your blog post now.

Thank you!

Older Speedos can be kind of annoying if you are accustomed to literally dialing down your power all the time, and it dials down the whole pack, not individual lights. You can either split the current running to a particular head by using their wiring adapter things or you can buy multiple packs. Or, you could buy a Broncolor Scoro if that sounds like too much work.

Oh. So I'd need 4 separate packs to have 4 separate power outputs?

Not really. It's just that you can't dial down each head individually. So let's say you have a 2400w/s pack with four outlets (two on each side). On one side you want a light to output 1200w/s. But say you want one other light that only outputs 300w/s. If you plug a light into the other side, it will draw a quarter of the pack's total power, which is 600 w/s. If you dial down the pack to half-power, then now your first light is only 600 w/s instead of 1200 w/s. So Speedo has devised this nutty system of splitting the power going to individual heads with Y-shaped cables and other things. It sounds insane but you get used to it.

It's less headache to configure it the way you want with the newer packs. See the Power Ratios page of this manual, for example http://www.speedotron.com/system/application/client/files/products/manuals/manual_02257.pdf

Oh. So I'd need 4 separate packs to have 4 separate power outputs?

No...one power pack of any of the current models will have either 4, or 6 outlets. So, one power pack (aka power supply) can run 1,2,3,or 4 heads. If it is a larger-capacity pack, it can run from 1 to 6 heads. Poor Helen...no variable power adjustment dials...aka "the variator"....sob,sob...

Brown_D202_WEB.JPG photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com
D202-200 watt-second, 2-outlet, ultra-small portable pack.

Brown_D402_WEB.JPG photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com
D402, 4-outlet pack with Symmetrical/Asymmetrical options, two channels, comprised of 1 and 2, and 3 and 4.

Brown_D604_WEB.JPG photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com
D604, 4-outlet pack. Symmetrical/Asymmetrical options, two channels, comprised of 1 and 2, and 3 and 4.

Black_405_WEB.JPG photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com
Black Line D405,recently discontinued. Symmetrical/Asymmetrical options. 3-outlet pack, two channels, A and B; has variable power dial-down control knob.

Black_805_WEB.jpg photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com
Black Line 805, recently discontinued. Symmetrical/Asymmetrical options. 4-outlet pack, 3 channels, A, B, and C;has variable power dial-down control knob.

Ok. Someone want to come show me how to work all this if I order? My head is spinning here...

Y cables and all of this were mentioned... What do you consider to be basic needs (besides the heads and power packs) when ordering?

What is the average life of a tube? Same as a monolight I'd guess?

I really need a road map to "How Speedtron Works... for dummies"

Ok. Someone want to come show me how to work all this if I order? My head is spinning here...
That's why I went with PCB White Lightning monolights to start with. Plug and Play, no fuss no muss.

When I was looking on ebay for the pack and head stuff, it just looked like a bunch of parts to me. :biggrin:

I have some old white lightnings I am replacing... which is what lead me to this!

Average life of a Speedo flash tube...in years, 1987 to 2011, 2 of 3 tubes STILL WORKING on M11- flash tubes. "Lifetime", unless broken by impact.

Depends what you want....the Y-cable is an old Brown Line device...

I would want one 36x48 Softbox from Photoflex, or BIGGER, as a large,soft main light. Two Lastolite 40 inch umbrella boxes. One heavy-duty boom stand with 15 lb counterweight. One 11.5 inch refelctor with 20 and 35 degree grids. 1 set of 2-way barndoors for 11.5 inch reflector and 1-Mylar snap-on diffuser. Two, 202VF flash heads (Variable Focusing, with 35 to 90 degree beam spread), three 102 flash heads with 7 inch umbrella reflectors, 4 additional 11.5 inch flash heads with mylar diffusers. One grid "set" for 7 inch reflectors. Three mylar snap-on diffusers for 7 inch reflectors. One short backlight stand that tops out at 4 feet tall. Five quality light stands. 1 Chinese-made strip box from eBay. 1 Chinese made 20 in ch beauty dish with 20 or 35 degree grid and diffuser sock for $129. A couple LARGE white reflectors, door-sized.

With that, you could shoot any portraits in-studio. Power level??? I still like the Black Line, six-outlet packs in the 1200 or 2400 watt-second size, since they are so plentiful and so low-cost on eBay, used.

I think it was a Joe McNally book I was reading...he liked the pack & head systems...but he ended up getting a pack for each head. Partially because he wanted full control of the power of each light, individually. I think another issue was the limitation of multiple lights having to be tethered to a single pack location.

Y cables and all of this were mentioned... What do you consider to be basic needs (besides the heads and power packs) when ordering?

What is the average life of a tube? Same as a monolight I'd guess?

I really need a road map to "How Speedtron Works... for dummies"

I have 2 packs and 5 heads with some additional stuff for sale.

I couldn't live with just one pack when using multiple lights.

How it works with say the 400w/s pack, is that you can choose to "bridge" or separate the A and B channels and if you have 3 lights plugged in, you can have either 133w/s at all three lights or 200w/s on one light and 100w/s on the other two. You can remove one light and have 200w/s on both or remove the other light and use both channels together.

The variator will let you step the power down 2 stop from full for a totall of 3 stop range in 1/3 stop increments and it affects the entier pack. So with one light at 200w/s and two at 100w/s, you can knock them down one stop to 100/50/50 and another to 50/25/25. This is why it's important to have multiple heads if you don't have a pack for each head. Sometimes you need a 2nd or 3rd head to act as a bleeder to get an other channel down to the power you need to be. The other night I was shooting with just the 400w/s pack and I had to toss a 3rd head on there and fire it into a cardboard box to get it to bleed the power off.

The reason I'm selling my Speedo gear is I have a little money saved up and I want something lighter. I have a Pelican 1654 with a 400w/s pack, 1200w/s pack, 5 heads, and all cables and it weighs over 100lbs. This is not the best thing in the world to have when my shoots are all on location. Speedo gear is heavy.

I think it was a Joe McNally book I was reading...he liked the pack & head systems...but he ended up getting a pack for each head. Partially because he wanted full control of the power of each light, individually. I think another issue was the limitation of multiple lights having to be tethered to a single pack location.

That's why I'd settle for two Profo D4 packs and 5-6 heads. Each channel can be controlled individually, IIRC. That's only $20,000 :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back