engagement portraits ~ post-processing help wanted

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi guys, yesterday i shot some engagement portraits for friends of ours... nothing formal or paid, just wanted to get some nice shots for them as an engagement present. Used my new 50mm1.8lens which i need loads more practice with (hence lots of out of focus bits & pieces!:confused: ) Anyway, in my other thread i was asking for post-processing advice so thought posting might help...Any comments/feedback always appreciated xx:heart:
PS.. just noticed some things look over sharpened - i did this converting my RAWS, bumping the sharpening to mid-high...still have originals so will fix this later x (markc was definitely right, sharpen later! thanks x)

#1... here is the 'regrowth' dilemma!! any photoshopping ideas to help her out????? also, aperture was 1.8, leaving only front eye in focus - is this ever acceptable and if she was facing the camera directly, would both eyes then be in focus???? please excuse the oversharpened hair in this one!:blushing:
regrowth.jpg

#2... in this one, just lopped off the regrowth! kinda like it though??
original1convert.jpg

#3...
original2.jpg

#4...slight curves adjustment, tried to whiten teeth and whites of eyes by lasooing and upping curves?? any better ideas????????
original2edited.jpg

#6... this is my fave, that i hope to have mounted on matte board for people to sign at their engagement party ~ please help me decide on colour...
favecolour.jpg

or#7, black & white...
favebw.jpg

thanks for looking xx:heart:

All of my pictures are okay to edit, so long as you promise to share your secrets!!

Very cute stuff. This is some of your best work so far!!

#1 looks like it could use a bit of warming...it's got a bluish cast to it that the others don't have, and #2 is gorgeous (even though I usually like very deep, contrasty bw stuff, this is almost high-key and it works very well!)

Cheers mate!

I'm no PS expert (as I only have gimp), but try using the airbrush with a rate around 15 and pressure about 4. What I found created the most natural look was Grain Extract. As for the color try to find something that matches her hair color.

I really like what you did with #4. It's a subtle edit, but has such a big difference in feel. You are really getting the hang of this.

I like the crop down in #2. The one eye out of focus doesn't work for me in #1 because of the pose, but it does in #2 because it feels so much more intimate. I'd crop #2 square, coming in on each side, so that her one eye in focus isn't on the center line. That feels a little unbalanced.

The last one doesn't work for me because he's looking at the camera and she's looking up at him. It's kind of a pimp-daddy thing (but still an adorable pimp-daddy thing).

I like the last one so much better in color. It's just so much warmer and the B&W version seems like it just doesn't have enough contrast. #2 is really cute. I like how you got in closer and it eliminated your problem anyway:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back