Engagement Session

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
Session from last week. PLEASE... I would love any critiques. OTE.

Thanks!
Pete

eng1.jpg

eng2.jpg

eng3.jpg

eng4.jpg

eng5.jpg

look really professional to me, except 4... maybe its my bad eye rearing its ugly head, but he looks way out of focus...

#4 is meant to be 'soft focus' I'm sure.

I like them, #2 & #5 especially. The clothes work well together and with the background. The vignette is really nice. I really like the pose & crop in #2.

They do look a tad dark, but that may be my monitor.

Great stuff Pete, I'm sure they are thrilled with them.

I like them alot. However I am not so hot on #4 either. It just looks plain out of focus to me. I know the effect you are going for I think though.

ONLY for #4, Just a question/idea/comment from a total studio newbie :blushing: Would the background/soft focus/subject type, work better with a Rembrandt or Side type lighting setup rather than the (correct me if I am wrong) standard loop variation set-up you have there?

Canon Fan said:
ONLY for #4, Just a question/idea/comment from a total studio newbie :blushing: Would the background/soft focus/subject type, work better with a Rembrandt or Side type lighting setup rather than the (correct me if I am wrong) standard loop variation set-up you have there?

Uh... I guess I'm outa the loop. I'm not certain what "standard loop variation set-up" means. The side lighting (split lighting?) is a good thought though. Maybe someone else here can address this.

Thanks to all for the comments!

Pete

In my humble and unprofessional opinion, I think you did an amazing job on the lighting and positions!!!! However, their expressions seem so pasted on to me.... I would like to see more natural (candid looking) expression in engagement photos but that is merely my personal opinion. Otherwise, I love the tones and lighting you used in these.

#2 is my fav--it definitely has the most intimate feel.

#1, they seem really far apart vertically, he's towering over her.

#3, I like except their hands. For some reason it feels awkward to me.

#4, I think she's much prettier with a smile on her face. And I really struggle with this type of pose. It feels natural for the guy to have his arms around her waist, but no matter how you do it, it just looks awkward!! He's hunched over, and I hate that!! LOL

#5, the expressions seem most genuine in this picture. They both have really long faces, and a portrait crop seems to accentuate that fact.

Overall, the skin tones look great, and I like the brownish background with the green outfits. His teeth could use a tad bit of whitening to bring them closer to hers. Her "T" zone and tops of her cheeks are tad shiny in some of them, and she could use some "smoothing" of the lines under her eyes. I do like the vignetting.

If they were looking for that professional studio flavor, I think you nailed it spot on! Good looking couple!

Some people are just like that. The second they think you're taking the shot, they get that tense look. Seems like both of them are good at that. :roll: I wonder how they'd do in a more "candid" session where you were just able to capture them interacting together.

ShutteredEye said:
#4, I think she's much prettier with a smile on her face. And I really struggle with this type of pose. It feels natural for the guy to have his arms around her waist, but no matter how you do it, it just looks awkward!! He's hunched over, and I hate that!! LOL

This one was a departure for me. I too feel this is awkward. In fact, this can even look profane. I wanted to try "something different." I suppose I should have remembered to make it good too.

THANK YOU for you detailed critique. I'm grateful for you time and feedback.

Pete

photogoddess said:
Some people are just like that. The second they think you're taking the shot, they get that tense look. Seems like both of them are good at that. :roll: I wonder how they'd do in a more "candid" session where you were just able to capture them interacting together.

I guess I'm gonna find out soon enough. I'm doing the wedding this July. YIKES! Wish me luck.

And... BTW... These were the BEST of the session. You can imagine the others.

Thanks!

Pete

Christie Photo said:
I guess I'm gonna find out soon enough. I'm doing the wedding this July. YIKES! Wish me luck.

Thanks!

Pete

I certainly hope they relax some before July. :lol: I'm sure you'll do awesome - just like always. Good luck! :hugs:

Christie Photo said:

Thanks!

Pete

I don't know how I missed these! I don't have much to add to what has already been said, but I wanted to echo that I love the vignetting in these. That is something I've really learned from you. I never used it before and I see now how much impact it can have on the photo.

I also wanted to say that I did an engagement shoot a few years ago where the couple was very nervous and had "fake" smiles, but when their wedding day came they were so much more relaxed and the pictures showed it. I know it will be fine for you, too :thumbsup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back