Evening light in Avtsusjvagge and on to Laitaure

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
And here continues my series from Lapland ...

1: Two walkers in the eveninglight in Avtsusjvagge (Avtsusj valley). The two peaks in the foreground are Rasek and Lulep Gierkav. In between the two, at the lake, and too small to be seen, lies a small Sami village.
4540.jpg

2: I put up my tent not far from there.
4542.jpg

3: A very personal shot ;) Nothing arranged. I was lying in my tent just about to start preparing dinner, when I had to take this image. You can even see a blue lens cloth lying on my backpack ;)
4576.jpg

4: Some more of those clouds.
4582.jpg

5: And finally, sunset (right from my tent).
4603.jpg

6: This was the next morning after it cleared up a bit ;) At night it was below zero a bit.
4609.jpg

7: Them reindeer ganging up on me.
4641.jpg

8: Sitojaure (Lake Sito), about 12 miles south of my camp from the night before. Fortunately a friendly Sami person helped me across. (For about 20 USD!!)
4646.jpg

All of them have good qualities, and #8 is my favorite. I like the texture and mood of it, the solitude of the man in the boat in his rain gear, the submerged pier... Quite lovely.

Once again, wow! The place seems so beautiful and isolated and quiet. Otherworldly, even. Loved each and every image, it's difficult to pick a favourite.

I too am really enjoying all your shots from your trip. In this series, my faves are #1 (I like how seeing the hikers gives perspective to how big the place is, and how long the hikes must have been...and I love the colour of the vegetation), and #3.

Peaceful the place is, if there is no storm or any bad weather. You should be glad not to feel the temperatures ;)

Anty, in #1 from my position to the lake it is a bout 4 miles in a direct line.

Peaceful the place is, if there is no storm or any bad weather. You should be glad not to feel the temperatures ;)
Really? I live in Winnipeg. During the winter months we lock ourselves in our fridges to get warm, so... I'm not afraid of Lapland :)

OMG, I didn't know you were a 'pegger! (Alex, he's right with the 'fridge is warmer' analogy!)
snow.gif

Really? I live in Winnipeg. During the winter months we lock ourselves in our fridges to get warm, so... I'm not afraid of Lapland :)

oh, then you know about the cold of course :)

But in winter you get -20, in extremes -40degC in some areas (Sarek and the like)

^^^ Heh heh, we get that in Toronto too. No joking (although the -40C doesn't happen very often...maybe just once or twice a winter, and it's with the windchill, not air temperature)

not speaking of windchill here ;) .. ok, this is all north of the arctic circle, and many areas have quite some altitude above 1000m, so then it can get cold of course

Minus 30 is an everyday thing here in the winter. However, we don't spend the day hiking or climbing, not to mention that we don't spend the night in tents. I don't think many Winnipeggers would be brave enough to do what you just did. Admirable.

Well, now it was still late summer / early fall ... so not that extreme temperatures yet. But then again around freezing with lots of wind is worse than -20 ...

Those pictures are sweet.

Most reactions

Back