Evening walk by the ocean

Moe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[deleted]

Last edited:
Good on you bringing your tripod around with you.
Did you use a polarizing filter too? (water is subdued, might be due solely to the long exp time I guess)

Beautiful picture, I like how the trees look 'dreamy'. Have any others where you showcase the trees a little more?

Thanks. I did use a polarizing filter, but I think most of the effect on the water is due to the 8 second exposure. Regarding the trees, the original photo had more of the trees, but that made the horizon too centered. I didn't use a tripod, by the way. I set it on a rock wall and held it still. If I'd had a tripod, I might've been able to be more picky about the composition.

Moe
Too bad you don't live in an area with nice settings, I bet your shots would be so much more interesting. ;):mrgreen:

I also like the shot and I am interested to know more details about the settings on the camera, if you don't mind.

such as ISO, aperture, what time of day, etc...

EXIF info

March 11, 2010
6:57 pm
f/10
ISO100
8s shutter speed
24mm focal length
Shot with Nikon D700 :)

this shot is gorgeous, absolutly beautiful tones, colors, smoothness and crispness at the same time. The way the waves break on the rocks, and how they lead the eye to a calm pool is just perfect. It just seems so surreal. Great shot, great composition, this could be a postcard!

When i first saw the pic I thought, "oh wow, that is nice." But the more i looked at it, something bothered me. It is the odd colored/shaped rock or sand--can't really tell what it is (over textured sand?)--amidst the black rock on the left side.

This is a beautiful image. I like the composition, and there is a lot of interesting things for the eye to see, without becoming overwhelmed.

I do not like the fuzzy trees though.
They don't really follow the clarity of the rest of the image.
They look more like they were smudged or blurred in photoshop.
I could see a little blur giving them a dreamy quality.

When i first saw the pic I thought, "oh wow, that is nice." But the more i looked at it, something bothered me. It is the odd colored/shaped rock or sand--can't really tell what it is (over textured sand?)--amidst the black rock on the left side.

Kind of reminds me of rocks with a lot... and I mean a lot... of bird **** on them.

Living in Hawaii is cheating. :grumpy:

I kid, beautiful photo. I think the trees, as Bitter said, would look better if not so blurred...but I can see how with an 8sec exposure they move with the wind. Not much you can do.

Beautiful elements, cloudy skies, water, trees, rocks and colors. The blurry trees in far left conflict a bit with the rocks which are sharp in the front. I could see a painter using this to paint from. I like a panaramic crop with this shot as well cropping out the still pool.

4426283761_b18b1e338f_ov2.jpg

Thanks everyone. This was shot right after the sun set, but there was still a little glow.

MrRamon, I'm not sure why that rock ended up looking like that. It looked kinda weird in the original, but the processing took it over the top, I guess. I've found that some rocks and greenery look like that sometimes in my photos. Lens or sensor, who knows. It's usually not evident until viewed large. Ideas?

As far as the blurry trees go, there's not much I could do because there was a fair amount of wind making them move. That's also the reason the ocean looks blurry.

I like the panoramic crop, but I think I like the original better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back