ryunin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.romanvalekphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I like to shoot my friends in pubs and jazz clubs. I'd like to ask:
is there a special adjustment when exposing in such relatively dark environment with artificial light (or can you provide a link to an article explaining this kind of exposure)

and what would be better for a beginner - push my favorite Tri X to say 1600 or shoot Tmax 3200 at ISO 3200? I'd like to do my own developing at home.

Here's my last try -

Roman Valek's Photos | Facebook

I probably underexposed which was my bad habit in the past. This was Delta 3200 and 50 mm with f1.8. I had it developed in a lab. Could it be better next time if I choose a better film, exposure...?

the link is not for the picture i wanted to show (it keeps giving the next picture i linked) but it's the same situation I described

here is the link for the whole album, I hope it will work

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2032664&id=1054563092&l=e95e65e683

Last edited:
Delta 3200 and TMAX P3200 are both excellent films and probably the best
choice in traditional B&W films for this sort of lighting. Both can be pushed
to higher ISOs if necessary.

There's no particular trick to it. Just meter and shoot at the ISO you've
chosen and process accordingly. You may need some sort of camera support
if you're forced to shoot at slow shutter speeds.

There are a number of different developers that can be used and results will
vary somewhat on your choice. It's a matter for experimentation.

I've had good results with XTol with these films but I haven't used all
developers available.

I shot some stuff for a local comedy troupe several years back and I recall using some sort of 1600 ISO Kodak film, most likely TMAX. I know I was shooting at 1600 and did not need to push at all. I'll see if I can dig some out later and give some examples. My results were very similar to what I see in your shots IIRC.....it's been a while since I looked at them.

even today in the afternoon shooting people in cafes is almost impossible with ISO 400 - too dark unless everyone is willing to freeze, so even for such shooting pushing Tri X or using T Max 3200 or Delta 3200 will be necessary

thanks for the replies

You'll get a little better performance with a faster lens. My favorite club lens is a 35/1.4, which works great with 800 speed film pushed to 1600. I develop myself, and I prefer to use Perceptol or Microdol-x to minimize the grain. It's best to err on the side of over exposure; if you overdo it you can add some contrast in PP if necessary.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back