External Combustion Engine

Rick50

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to a craftsmanship museum today. Interesting stuff. I saw my 1st ext. combustion engine run.
The fire gets sucked into the chamber and the gate closes. Fire burns all the oxygen inside
and creates a vacuum sucking in the cylinder. Very cool!
untitled-6760-L.jpg

I go to this one often. It's just a couple miles down the road. ok, maybe about 30, but who's counting.
Fun stuff after being cooped up all winter
Home

.... I saw my 1st ext. combustion engine ...
Never seen a steam engine?

Well, now that you mention it. Just never thought of it that way. Shows my knowledge in the area.

So here is another one. This is similar to a hot air engine I have seen, only horizontal. Notice the cooling fins and second chamber for getting cool air in.
Mind boggling after a while. :)
untitled-6762-L.jpg

I go to this one often. It's just a couple miles down the road. ok, maybe about 30, but who's counting.
Fun stuff after being cooped up all winter
Home
Yes, I went with a Friend and we both said we would go back. Just too much to get in one day.

The first one is a vacuum or 'flame-licker' engine, the lower one is a Stirling cycle engine; similar in principle, but has a closed power cycle. Stirling engines are incredibly efficient; I have a small model which will run very happily off of only the heat from a cup of coffee.

The first one is a vacuum or 'flame-licker' engine, the lower one is a Stirling cycle engine; similar in principle, but has a closed power cycle. Stirling engines are incredibly efficient; I have a small model which will run very happily off of only the heat from a cup of coffee.
And, of course a demonstration always helps (excuse the crappy iPhone video):

Most reactions

Back