F-Stop Values for Nikon D-50

D-50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am at work and dont have my camera with me and need to know what the F-stop incriments are for a Nikon D 50 so I can make a hyperfocal distance chart. I found one on Nikonians.org but it does not have all the f-stop values and it only goes to 35 millimeters. I would prefer my chart goes to at least 70 mm as I use my 18-70mm 3.5-4.5 lens most often. If anyone can let me know these values I would appreciate it and will gladly send you the chart I make, I will also post it if I can figure out how.

Thank You in advance.

The f-stop increments are lens based. With a zoom lens, you need to look at the minimum and maximum lengths and f-stop minimums and calculate up from there. At 70mm, the first is going to be f4.5, but I'm not sure what the increments would be and couldn't find a hyperfocal chart for it.

Rob

My 18-70mm starts at 3.5 with a minimum value at 70mm of 4.5. I cant find anything on the net about the incren=mental f-stops either. If anyone is by there camera and has a 18-70mm lens and could quickly go through the f-stop I would greatly appreciate it. If not I can do it when I get home tonight, I will let you know the results.

In general though are there basic f-stops that exist? for example, i know that f-stops of 2.8, 5.6, 11, 22 exist, but do f-stops of 2.3, 3.4, 6.7 exist for any lense?

The thing is that prime lenses have a click and the stops go up in normal stops: f/1, f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22, f/32, f/45, f/64. However, I think the digital lenses for the digital bodies allow partial stops in smaller increments (possibly 1/3 stop). I'm a bit new to digital cameras, so I can't help much more than that for your specific camera.

Rob

That I think you right that some DSLRs can go between F values by thirds I will make my chart using your incriments with one third stops in between, I guess I'll find out tonight if this works. At least this will give me something to do while I sit at my desk.

Most reactions

Back