F3 prices

selmerdave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everybody, it's been a little while since I've been around.

I'm looking at getting a Nikon F3, someone local has one in near mint condition with the motor drive and a 50mm lens. Price seems reasonable considering the condition ($350), but when I check on eBay it seems prices on these have dropped like a rock. Bodies under $200, some under $150, with motordrive for under $250. Agreed many of those are in not-perfect condition. That is significantly lower than when I last recall checking, maybe 6-9 months ago. Is this a reflection of film becoming even more obsolete and digital more permanently mainstream, is it a reflection of people's 401k's or what? Or has a fatal flaw been discovered in the F3? :)

I'll likely sell an FM2n to fund the purchase, yell at me if you feel the need.

Dave

The market has dropped out of most things lately... I sold a mint f3 for $200 recently, so those prices seem about right.

I think it's just the economy. Film seems to be leveling off, sure digital is outselling it, but there are still tons of people using it. Kodak even just released a new film. (Ektar 100) Plus young hipster types are making film trendy (at least I notice it here in L.A.) Film isn't going anywhere. It's just not for pros anymore.

$350 for a mint F3 with motor drive and 50mm doesn't seem too bad.. you could probably find it a little cheaper, but if it's local and you can check it out personally, and if it's really mint like you say, I'd probably go with that than 'gamble' with some online purchase.

I'm not going to yell at you, but I do suggest that you reconsider the sale of the all mechanical FM2 for the electromechanical F3. I'd rather have an FM2 or an F2AS than the F3 if I only had one camera, but I guess that that is personal preference. Swapping a camera you know the history of for an old one you don't know the history of may also be something to think about.

Best,
Helen

Sell your FM2? Are you crazy? :confused:

Sell something else, man! Like a digital camera that's losing its value daily. :lol:

Ha ha, no digital to sell.

I did buy it, it's pretty darn close to mint and works perfectly. It also came with a SB-16A flash which is good, I have a 16B but the "A" attachments go for some money so I'm glad to not have to lay that out on top. The lens is a 1.8 so I won't expect much return for it. I will think about the FM2n, perhaps I'll hold on to it. I have an FE2 as well that I would probably sell before the FM2n but it was my father's camera and I could never sell it. I could part with the Pentax stuff maybe.

Dave

I had a F3HP for years and loved it. Very tough camera and was built like a tank. They have held their prices pretty good until fairly recently.

I would still have it today if it were not some bad judgment on myself for trading in some equipment for a digital body about 7 years ago. Long story short, the guy closed business before I got my DSLR. I traded in a f4s, the F3, a Nikon AF 300 2.8 AF :confused: and a couple coolpix cameras. I got nothing in return.

So, I am a bit bitter about my F3. But its a great camera. And since it was built for pros. Even a well used one should still give great service to a new owner.

Just picked up a "bargain" condition F3HP on KEH.com for $100 plus shipping. Hopefully not in bad shape but KEH seems to like underrating their stuff. I'll find out when it arrives, hopefully tomorrow. I ordered an N70 in bargain condition and the one I got was in at least excellent condition :D.

So I ended up getting a DE-2 finder for it (it came with the HP one) in hopes of having better magnification. I don't use glasses and based on what I normally do I'm not sure the HP feature will be of much use.

I'm a little disappointed to find that the DE-2 is only marginally better magnification than the HP, and still quite a bit smaller than my FE2 for example. It's also slightly dimmer. By comparison my Pentax LX has a much brighter viewfinder with much larger magnification.

All told the F3 is a marvel of engineering and operating it is a privilege.

Dave

Yes, 35 bodies have dropped like hot rocks lately. A friend sold a near mint F5 on epay about 6 months ago and only got about $375 for it. That said, I agree you should keep the FM2. Glad to see you did. Also glad you bought the F3/MD4/SB-16a. Of all my film 35's, this is my favorite. Great camera, very rugged and tough, and either small and concealable or big, fast and bullet proof. My dream would be a DSLR built on the F3 chassis. But obviously Nikon has moved on and it will remain but a dream.

Yes, 35 bodies have dropped like hot rocks lately. A friend sold a near mint F5 on epay about 6 months ago and only got about $375 for it. That said, I agree you should keep the FM2. Glad to see you did. Also glad you bought the F3/MD4/SB-16a. Of all my film 35's, this is my favorite. Great camera, very rugged and tough, and either small and concealable or big, fast and bullet proof. My dream would be a DSLR built on the F3 chassis. But obviously Nikon has moved on and it will remain but a dream.

Could have been worse, I bought a MINT F5 on ebay for $350.

Ha ha, no digital to sell.

I did buy it, it's pretty darn close to mint and works perfectly. It also came with a SB-16A flash which is good, I have a 16B but the "A" attachments go for some money so I'm glad to not have to lay that out on top. The lens is a 1.8 so I won't expect much return for it. I will think about the FM2n, perhaps I'll hold on to it. I have an FE2 as well that I would probably sell before the FM2n but it was my father's camera and I could never sell it. I could part with the Pentax stuff maybe.

Dave

Keep that FE-2. Great camera!

Most reactions

Back