Facial warping software

Hunterhound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
New to this forum, thought what better place to ask a question about editing a photo than on a photo forum. Here is the project I am working on and hopefully someone will have a suggestion as to the best method to get my results.

I want to take a plain, front facing photo of a person. Depending upon what facial shape this person has, (there are many, such as round, oval, square, oblong, diamond, etc) I would like to have control points such as jaw line, cheek to cheek, forehead, hairline to chin, and then be able to stretch/shrink/warp in these dimensions to make this person now have a different facial shape. By this I mean take someone with a round facial shape and then make the photo appear as if they have a square or oblong face shape. I don't want to introduce tons of artifact and warping to the point that the photo looks more like a gimmick or gag photo and not like a real person. It needs to look as if this person really exists. If I do this with pictures of people that you are not familiar with and show you one of the facial warps to another shape, you should not be able to tell, reasonably, that this is not a real person. I would like to do this with about four or five different people, converting them to four or five of the different face types.

I am doing this a project with my kids to determine if a particular facial shape lends itself to being a more honest face, prettier face, dependable, etc. Basically a first impression look at someone and then decide if they look more trustworthy as a square face or more pretty with an oval face. I have tried quite a few different software packages and none gives the amount of control I need to completely change all of the dimensions. One issue as example is a oval face. An oval face needs to be 1.5 times as long from hairline to chin as it is wide. If I have someone with a round face or square face, I have not been able to find a program that will allow me this much freedom.

I have tried several Ipad apps, but they seem more like fun apps for the kids and really make the photos look like silly putty, no real structure to the warping. I have tried Portrait Professional, it is has given me my best attempts, but I can only create maybe one or two different facial shapes from any one picture, once again not a big enough range of control. I do like the way it allows me to draw in the face contour, nose, etc and then use those points of control to warp. I just dont have enough freedom to make a variety of faces. I have tried morphing software like Winmorph and Fantamorph but they didn't really seem to allow me to work with just one picture and warp it in different dimensions. The best result I have had comes from using FaceGen 3d modeller. I was able to have the largest range of change on a picture but it has serious drawbacks. As cool as it is to convert a picture to a 3d rotating person, it strips it of the picture properties such as skin tone, hair etc and leaves you with a bald 3d cartoon like creation. It looks really good but I really need it to look like a person in a picture.

Forgive me for being new and posting such a long question! Any help, suggestions or advice appreciated.

Eric

Most reactions

New Topics

Back