February '07 Photo Challenge - "Long Exposure" - Sponsored by joby.com

I'm guessing as long as it takes to have a 'special effect' on the resulting picture. If you can't see that it's a long exposure shot, it probably wasn't one in the first place. :sexywink:

Using VPL film.. Mamiay RB 67 on bogen tripod.. 1 minute @ f 45 !

http://majikimaje.com/bns.jpg

Uhm..

- The deadline for submissions is February 28
- *The image can be no larger then 150KB
- Include your forum username when submitting
- The submitted photo must be in the form of a .jpg
- Please keep your photo anonymous (no distinguishing watermarks, and no photos that have been posted previously on the forum)
- Submit no more than one photo
- If you wish you may include a title when submitting your photo (please use no special characters)
- The form must also be included when submitting the photo
- The forum Admins and Moderators reserve the right to exclude or remove any photo solely at their discretion
- The forum Admins and Moderators reserve the right to decide the winner of the photo challenge

I dont really know how to answer that question, not that I am any authority or anything like that, but I do remember that when I used to use Vericolor professional film they had two types

VPS = short exposures

VPL = long exposure

The type S was of course for short exposures or more like NORMAL range 1/2000 -1/8

The type L was of course for LONG exposures as in seconds and minutes! 1/8 - sec - hour

Where does S end and L begin? Kodak has the answer to that on the data sheet for that film. google it

The longest exposure I have ever used was 3 minutes @ F90

using Kodak Vericolor type L for an Art Gallery I used to freelance and do all their work

I have actually worked one on one with some of the very top Artists in the world very famous artists.

Edna Hibbel
Joseph Trippetti
Leroy Neiman

Only because.. .. of what Vericlor film could do..It was made to MATCH

the original subject with exacting colors!

This Famous Art Gallery (East Coast ) hired and used many PROFESSIONAL agencies!

They always came to me! especially when they didn't like what the BIG PROS could not accomlish.

and this happened many tmes. Joesph Trippetti is a very advanced photographer himself. But he was complaining / explaining to me that taking photographs of his sterling silver clossiane work COULD NOT BE DONE.

he tried it, kept trying it, he had special lights built. he kept saying light, ring lights. more lights, overhead lights, he kept stressing light.

I asked him.. May I take one photograph of this piece you just brought into the gallery.. he laughed and said go ahead!

STOP AND EXPLAIN:... who am I ? absolutely no body..

I have never ever been to any school or class or anything. I just wanted to learn how to do this in 1969.. it is now the year 1976 I have read everything I could get my hands on over and over and over and over until I understood what all of those words actually meant.

then, after making every concieable mistake KNOWN TO MAN. then .. I started to "develop" my own style (no pun intended)!

I was an elecrican and made good weekly pay checks and invested every dime into new equipment I had all the best!

My hobby darkroom was 10,000 square feet 12' wooden sinks

when some pro's walked into it one day. they were speechless mouths hanging wide open!

that is what I had to work with when I asked Joseph Trippetti if I could expose one frame of film...to capture the sterling silver in his piece of art on white porcelean!

I asked the owner Vivian, Can you please take that Large Hiibel off the wall.. and have Joe's Piece placed there. it was done as requested

I set up my tripod (bogen 350 awesome tripod)... "ROCK SOLID"

I am using a mamiya RB 67 w/normal lens Vericolor Type L for long exosures

I said . shut out all the lights.sit down and be still please.

2 minutes @ F 45 -=click=-

Altough the lights were off in that "section " of the alcove of the gallery.. there was plenty of ambient light available..

I said.. I will be back.. in about 45 minutes ! I left. I am only 1/4 mile from my darkroom

When I showed Joe. that image, that 16 X 20 image, He jumped !!!

get that piece off the wall now!!! was his first statement..

The 16 x 20 image was laid beside his work.. and it MATCHED!!

you see.. Joe kept saying light light light..
He was trying to get the SILVER to show its SHINE against a WHITE porclean backgound using LIGHTS!! which of course would be too much.....I am an electrican and it was so obvious to me!

This famous gallery presented me with many unique challenges.

they even flew me back from alaska twice to do work for them only because ..

the big pro agencies in boston(the ones they used) could not do.. WHAT I HAD LEANRED JUST BY .. -=reading books=-

The most specataular challenge they put to me once was this.

This gallerly just acquired 5 bronze statues about 18" tall

of a female 1. as a baby 2. as a small child 3. as a teen 4. as a woman 5. as a mother.

These bronze sculptures were magnificent they had 5.000 sets!

I was in alaska I knew nothing of this..I get a phone call David, can you fly?

yes ..
I show up in Boston.. This is our problem she said.. and she begins to open box after box after box

the most gorgous photos of these sculptures.. WHOA !!! WOW..!

My mouth is hanging open.. I am amazed at these images, spectacular!

I have never seen such wonderful work. wow.

Vivian looks at me and says.. we don't like any of these! huh ???

We need something better she said. I am now in a state of total shock.

I have never seen anything so beautiful and razor sharp like this before.

I got so SCARED when she said.. we need something BETTER!

I wanted to just turn right around and leave. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?
how could you possiblly get "better" than what I have just seen??

I was about to say.. I can't do better than that.. I'll give it a try was my CONFIDENT reply. i will be back tommorrow after noon.

AS I am drivnig to E. Phillip Levines (camera shop boston)

I am thinking.. how can I possibly do better than this?? I contemplated eveyrthing I had seen. and I knew. I would have to use an 8 x 10 view camera

I have never used on in my life before. but I had read lots about them.

so I rented one from Phil

the day of the shoot.

bogen 350 tripod 3 minutes @ F 90

same gallery. same room

but.. it took me four hours.. to arrange all 5 sclupteres on a SEAMLESS backgound of orange/yellow cloth

this is the one thing.. that made my images so stiking! was the backgound

the seamless cloth the contrasting color

instead of usng white as the big pros did.

that was the one thing that set mine off from these THOUSANDS of photographs they had shown me.

I took one exposure.. ! CLICK!

I GOT PAID 1,000 for that one click!

and a free round trip back to Alaska!!

they just could not believe the realsitic life givng qualites .. that were produced when placed against that back drop!! Either could I .

all 5 at once! and each was in the exact position requred to show the best prominent details of the piece.

so I hope I answered your question about long exposeres.

Please dont ask another LONG one.!! I joke! I'm only kidding

Is 6 seconds considered long? I think i've got a nice one for this month. :)

in my opinon 1/8 sec - 10 hours should fit the range.

the data sheet for Kodak VPL VERICOLOR PROFESIONAL LONG

will tell you the EXACT definition of their idea. of what they consider because I do believe they provide a range.

but I personally do not know .

I guess this one's gonna be a tough one. :)

Forgive me for being the newbie, but what is a "Long exposure" shot?

Opinion... My opinion. It may be wrong. :wink:

For my impression of this, I'd say anything 1 second or over. Mine was a couple of minutes. Yes I already sent it in, I was having so much fun after the last contest, I shot one out.

Why one second, not 1/8th? No particular reason. Just that I figured anything that's a fraction of a second, isn't "long". :lol:

Someone else may say, anything shot Bulb, but I know there are cameras that can meter and shoot in minutes, so it wouldn't be fair to not count them as long.

I'm New and have entered my first ever long exposure shot onto this competition, It's fairly good, if not a bit un-original though!

Anything could be considered long in my opinion. Like it was said above. As long as it is noticeable that it was exposed for a period of time. Like 1/8th of a second could be long if what you're shooting is faster and leaves a trail and such.

that's exactly my thought also. I was once standing across the street from the Salem witch house. I had b&w film I made a still shot of the house.. but I left the shutter open for 1/8 of a second and the "trails" of people walking by . were just fantastick thanks for using that illustration it reminded me of how lovely those "trails" looked

See, that's nothing ... I consider short exposures to be 90 seconds ;) But I guess shooting at night is more photon-limited than during the day.

Most reactions

Back