Feedback on my plan to shift from FF Nikon DSLR to APS-C Fuji mirrorless

texxter

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wanted to share with you my thinking about my camera transition in progress and get your feedback. I know this is a very personal preference but I like to listen to different points of views and keep an open mind.

I have been shooting Nikon DSLRs for 13 years and full frame DSLR for the last 10 years, starting with the excellent D700. During these years I acquired a lens kit with the best Nikon and prime lenses. The weight and bulk of this equipment is no longer appealing to my current style of photography and I am moving to Fuji mirrorless and selling all my Nikon equipment.

My main interest is travel, portraiture and street. I may do some architectural or landscape work as part of travel, but I am focused on the human experience for the most part.

I abandoned using the Nikon gear a while ago and have been traveling extensively with my Fuji x100 and then x100t. I don't have plans to move from the x100t to the x100f, but there is a next gen Fuji x100* coming in 2020.

The camera replacing the FF Nikon is Fuji XT-3. My dilemma is how to deal with lenses, and this is where I could use some feedback. My current plan is to actually limit the number of Fuji lenses to just 2, namely, the highly-praised 18-55mm kit lens (variable aperture f2.8-f4) and the 56mm f1.2. This covers most of my needs, but obviously I only have fast glass at the 85mm equivalent. To compensate for that I plan to keep my x100t with its excellent 35mm equivalent f2 fixed lens with the WCL converter lens, to get the 28mm equiv at f2. This is the camera I take when I travel, so I will be able to use it for that purpose and also in town whenever I want to do street or impromptu portraits. Love the leaf shutter on that camera for flash photography as well. Once the new x100* is available next year i will upgrade my x100t.

The alternative is to purchase fast lenses for the xt3, like the 24mm equiv f1.4 and the 35mm equiv f1.4 - these lenses together would cost me more than the upgraded x100* and will also create redundancy. I would probably feel the desire to take the xt3 on travels and switch lenses, which is not something I do today. If I were this route I would probably not upgrade the x100t and eventually just use the xt3 for everything. The camera bag with the xt3 and several lenses is already more than I am willing to carry around all day, hence the idea of keeping the x100 format for the foreseeable future.

So... two cameras and fewer lenses, or a single body with more lenses? Any opinions?

Last edited:
I would rather have one camera and more lenses, rather than two cameras.

I have found that I shoot better with just one camera model in the rotation. Going back-and-forth between one camera model and another model causes just a slight bit of, shall we call it, lag. We're talking about a very very slight bit of let's say recognition time, and in the past I have shot with two different Nikon models ,like for example the FE2 and the F3HP or the FM and the FE2.

When a person standardizes on prime lenses , I think that at least four different lengths should be in your kit.

i would go one camera more lenses.
i also switched from FF nikon to Fuji and have never regretted it.
still do portraiture and the fuji's perform as well as the nikons did.

I've gone the same route. However, I've done so by enjoying the sharp discounts on Fuji X bodies that follow new model roll-outs. For you, there's the prospect of stone-cold bargains on the X-H1 and the X100F if/when its replacement lands. If weight/space are concerns, I'd look into the 4 "Fujicron" primes. They're also inexpensive compared to the bulkier, pricier, faster versions with no troubling IQ compromises. With Fuji, the trailing edge ILCs will cause you no embarrassment.

Thank you for all the good comments! I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for me to be able to travel light :) Here below are a couple of pics of the x100t vs xt-3 out of the bag and in their bags. The bag for the xt3 carries it with the 18-55mm and the 56mm lens plus odds and ends. I don't know that I can fit more primes in there without giving up the zoom. The x100t bag carries the x100t and the 28mm WCL adapter. I can walk 8 hours a day with the x100t and not feel it - the other bag will be noticed, for sure. The difference in size between the two cameras is significant, especially when the xt3 sports a fast lens or a zoom. Of course, the xt3 is tiny compared to the Nikon FF body and a fast lens or zoom, but still big for travel. Sharing this to provide more context for my thinking.

PSX_20190731_090139.jpg
PSX_20190731_090816.jpg

I’m also fond of those ThinkTank Retrospective bags—that design sadly discontinued.

My street kit is an X100t+tele conversion lens and the Ricoh GRII—a p&s that punches way above its weight.

Just a suggestion - rather than getting the new X100V when it's out, how about an X-E3 plus the 23mm f2 - which makes a great compact, light-weight travel camera.

You can then add the zoom or the 56mm to the X-E3 ehen needed. You may also find you don't need the X-T3.

I have a Z7 and I'm definitely impressed with it. I have had the Fuji XT1, XT2 and Xt3, but when it comes to overall image quality I prefer the Nikon. I know a lot might disagree, but I prefer the control layout on the Z7 vs the Fuji.
I'm just not sold on the Fuji RAW files. Just not enough detail for my preference. I guess I don't really miss anything about the Fuji overall.

I have a Z7 and I'm definitely impressed with it. I have had the Fuji XT1, XT2 and Xt3, but when it comes to overall image quality I prefer the Nikon. I know a lot might disagree, but I prefer the control layout on the Z7 vs the Fuji.
I'm just not sold on the Fuji RAW files. Just not enough detail for my preference. I guess I don't really miss anything about the Fuji overall.

Good for you. Glad you prefer Nikon, but the topic at hand is how to best work within a Fuji framework. Thanks!

Good for you. Glad you prefer Nikon, but the topic at hand is how to best work within a Fuji framework. Thanks!
Thanks for your comment, however all information towards any one topic may not be relevant to you but will be to someone else. It assist in informed decisions.

Just a suggestion - rather than getting the new X100V when it's out, how about an X-E3 plus the 23mm f2 - which makes a great compact, light-weight travel camera.

You can then add the zoom or the 56mm to the X-E3 ehen needed. You may also find you don't need the X-T3.

Thank you for you suggestion! The x-e3 is a great camera. I have just purchased the xt-3 and it's going to be with me for at least 5+ years. I love the x100t with its leaf shutter and ND filter. I wouldn't move from the xt-3 to the x-e3, and I am not willing to give up what's special about the x100* series.... I know, I want everything :)

I personally think Fuji is hyped up a little too much.

Thanks for your comment, however all information towards any one topic may not be relevant to you but will be to someone else. It assist in informed decisions.

Listen, you're welcome to start your own thread about your experience with Z7 vs Fujji. This thread is about Fuji equipment. Your opinion is fine but irrelevant to the thread.

I too would prefer one body and multiple lenses.

As far as weight goes, I was in the Marine Corps as an infantryman and we had a saying, “ounces make pounds”. Simply meaning that every little bit adds up and when you’re carrying it for miles on end it makes you rethink some choices. So I understand wanting to keep things light. That being said, most of what we packed were non-negotiables and after a while you just got used to it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back