Film IS DEAD and Filmophobia

Greetings from the newest member. I recently became addicted to cameras without knowing the first thing about them.

I bought a few off of Ebay and they all had problems, but I've gotten a couple of them to work.

I went to the park today to take pictures and I used the only digital I have, a finepixs s700 and an old Asahi Pentax Spotmatic. I like the instant results from the digital and the fun experimenting with the features. The pentax took a little work to clean up and replace the light seals and I should know in a couple of days how the photos turned out. I had a great time and got very close to an Egret and a really irritable goose. I had a couple of digitals that turned out OKay, but after viewing them, I wished I knew how to correctly compose the photograph where the birds would be in the best location and the picture framed?? correctly??

I was a kid in the 50s and really liked the old TLR cameras but I didn't realize they were as limited as they are. That didn't stop me from buying a beautiful weltaflex TLR that uses the 120 film. I will take that out next week.

My son and I bought a photo enlarger the day after we bought some 2 gig memory cards for our digital cameras.

I need to learn everything and I'm loving every minute of it!!! I'm glad I found this sight with so many knowledgeable photographers.

At any rate, who cares what someone else thinks about the "flavor" of photography you prefer. I'm glad you're here and willing to share your photos and knowledge.

Bill

Bill: that's a beautiful attitude. :thumbup: I hope you have a lot of fun here and share lots of your pictures. Welcome to TPF!

I use the computer all day at work. That is a primary reason I stay with film. I need a break from the computer and find the whole film/darkroom activity to be relaxing and fun.

...I am a firm believer in the proposition that film and digital photography can--and should--peacefully coexist, just as LPs and CDs should in the audio world...now, I always wanted a decent 35mm camera, but I could never afford one, even when I was in the military (I had my family with me, and they came first)...so, even though I went out and bought a digital camera a couple of years ago (for the impending birth of my grandson), and had a good time shooting pictres of him, I was thrilled when a Maxxum 3xi sort of fell into my lap...I quickly added an assortment of lenses and a 5xi body, and I have a 7xi on the way (that needs the film transport looked at) and I've been having fun with all of it...even though I'm still just learning how to use it...shot two rolls of Fuji 400 for said grandson's second birthday party this past weekend; can't wait to see how they came out...

It's not digital photographers that have a filmphobia. It's the mfg's and digital sales people who don't want you to shoot film. They want you to come into their shop and drop that grand or more on the latest and greatest dslr. They sure as hell don't want you to go on ebay and buy a medium format rig for a couple hundred bucks or less. If any photographers have filmphobia, it's only because they're jealous :)

I find this the funniest part of the entire original message. It's just the opposite! In fact why is PaulBennett being so defensive and protective of his film interests? :meh: What is there to say about people who have the inability to change?

My take. Shoot film if you like it. I think the prices on used equipment are just fantastic, and low. Shoot digital if you want to sell your product in the modern world. Warning... any grain kills sales most of the time. Scans to digital, from film, just don't cut it, unless you use very expensive equipment.

Neither one is any less photography, than the other. They are just different mediums and methods.

Stop telling me that if I shoot film on Monday and digital on Tuesday, I'm not still taking photographs. Because I still shoot both!

As for B&W processing being dead. Really? I still have a changing bag and some tanks. (a dark closet will do just fine) Haven't taken a roll to the lab in 40 years. It's inexpensive and hands on fun. Nothing better than the satisfaction of taking, developing, and printing your own B&W photos.

I know that my Beta machines are much better than VHS, but I don't use them anymore. I don't sit around and whine over and over, about how VHS is crap and Beta is better.

Attention film shooters who have a persecution complex. Get over it! :mrgreen: Have fun, shoot your film, enjoy all that top grade equipment for bargain prices. But you might as well admit that things have changed and photography has changed. Digital is every bit as good and in most cases better than film!

There are some things that film does better and that digital may not do for another 20 years, except if someone has thousands or millions of dollars for state of the art digital equipment.

Each has it's place, benefits, features and special value.

I dont understand this post, it contains virtually nothing of any relevence to me as a person who shoots film.....by choice.
Nobody is unable to change, just unwilling, its a choice.
"I shoot film because I cant afford digital".....ridiculous
"I shoot film cos top gear is cheaper".....bull, I wont waste your time by quoting costs, suffice to say we all have a budget and could choose either medium with the same budget.
He said, B/W film is dead commercially, it might be I wouldn't know, but by your reasoning it wouldn't sell anyway, too much grain...sales...profit margins...product....scans....blah blah blah......crap.
Photography hasn't changed, only the transfer of the media has changed.
I think digital photography is always looking for validation from the film fraternatie, its time it stopped asking "am I good enough now", jumped off the bandwaggon and stood on its own two feet.
I shoot film because....I LIKE IT, and, yes, I will defend it when I see the materials I need to continue liking it, dissappearing from the shelves, and having to read paragraphs of drivel pushing the virtues of digital as an alternative.....cos it just, isn't.
I dont even dislike digital, my first camera was £700's worth of digital, I shoot both, I'm just sick of having to "explain" my preference, and it just bouncing off a brick wall, it insinuates that I'm stupid.
Somebody please tell me why I shoot film, obviously I dont possess the required IQ points to make an informed decision by myself....duh

This is me all the way. Except, I was less curious about how it was done "in the olden days" and more curious about how it it is done period. We have had a very nice film camera for quite some time but I still continued to shoot on my less than ideal digital until about a week ago. Now I can't quite remember why I like digital in the first place, except for the convenience.

:alien: Hi All

I'm a new member and this is my first post. I so relate to the digital driving me to film. Digital actually brought about my interest in photography, but the quality of the image, especially in the early days, and the limitations of the equipment inspired me to try a 35mm slr. I was hooked right from the start with film, even though after a time I found my film scans produced better images then I was getting from my processing service. So eventually I tried the Canon 20D and yes I was impressed. But it didn't replace film for me as I still find many things film does better *for me* then digital. I like to carry a camera with me at all times. I'm scared to do this with the 20D, but banging around what is now a cheap slr 35mm isn't near as scary.

Plus I just love film, and those very reasonably priced medium formats....are like calling me..lol.

I gotta say I just don't understand the animosity on this issue though..it's photography, it's all good /click/ :clap:

Tazmun

epeat after me -- WHO CARES

You should follow your own advice when thinking about posting anything about film vs. digital. On a personal level it's an individual choice. In the big picture digital has won, film has lost. The debate is over, except among film geeks.

"Whether a watercolor is inferior to an oil, or whether a drawing, an etching, or a photograph is not as important as either, is inconsequent. To have to despise something in order to respect something else is a sign of impotence." -Paul Strand

A cheep “M” mount Voigtlander Bessa T, I have been think about getting one for a few years, but keep butting it out because of the mixed reviews I have seen about Cosina quality dealing mostly with rangefinder calibration, already have a nice Canon IV L39 mount but you need to work the shutter a lot or it stick between uses and on long rolls, got tired of dealing with the Canon figure it was time to give Voigtlander a try

A cheep “M” mount Voigtlander Bessa T, I have been think about getting one for a few years, but keep butting it out because of the mixed reviews I have seen about Cosina quality dealing mostly with rangefinder calibration, already have a nice Canon IV L39 mount but you need to work the shutter a lot or it stick between uses and on long rolls, got tired of dealing with the Canon figure it was time to give Voigtlander a try
Sounds cool - and I bet it's beautiful. Here's hoping you don't have any issues with the rangefinder, that can be a pita. Show the new baby when it arrives!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back