First attempt at foggy water ... C&C please

dakkon76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It was calm enough on my hike the other day that I pulled out the tripod and took a few long exposures of the falls and creek. So far, no PP done to these. Please let me know what you think.

I seem to like certain things about a scene but have a hard time getting an actual SUBJECT in the picture so that it doesn't look too terribly random/boring... hoping this first pic worked better, because I like it.

3658805919_6da4c4c74b_o.jpg

The branch was moving a little in this one, making it a little fuzzy. Maybe a little overexposed too?
3659603286_8dc4229a41_o.jpg

Nice attempts.

You might want to consider using some neutral density filters next time...that will help keep the image from overexposing.

It's a good idea to include the shot data when you post images for C&C...ISO, aperture, shutter speed, focal length, filters, etc...

i like the first one better, maybe go a little wider though? and get more of the water coming down?

Ok so here goes my honest opinion. Neither picture does much for me. Now I for one can completely agree with you that when I'm out shooting waterfalls, nature, etc., I find that I rarely capture the grandness of the rushing water, mist in the air, coolness of the tree cover on a hot day. None of this is ever present in my pictures, and I feel those are important effects to try and capture when you photograph. With that being said, the first picture for me is too centered. The main subject is the running water, yet there is too much mold on the left and right that doesn't "tell the story" so to speak. Now the 2nd picture is starting to work for me. I would definitely do some research on the rule of thirds, and if you know about it already, I would work hard on the compositions when you are in the field. I think the 2nd could be better had the top of the falls be at the top right of the image. I always find that when you get that snaking effect it really starts to give a picture some depth. Also, I know you said you didn't do any editting, but the least I usually do before posting is correct the white balance.

[EDIT] Also, the whites for me are too blown out in the 2nd, I would have stopped that exposure down a stop or 2. Almost find more of a happy medium in that shot. I find if you shoot raw and underexpose the water, leaning more towards exposing for the rest of the scene, that you can recover more in RAW in the highlights, than brightening up the shadows.
Hope I didn't ramble on too much;)

Last edited:
Just a side comment: If you consider doing PP work, you may want to look into old threads (recently started a thread about software, "Additional Software Questions). I, myself am looking into getting Adobe Lightroom ($300 - 200-> $100 on student discount) which may work for you ($$, if you're a student) You can fix you're white balance as well as enhance the colors with contrast work if you want to mess with them a little bit. Not sure if you want to go down that path or not...

Personally, the angle on the 2nd shot is nicely done. Only thing I'd point out on the general shot is the trees don't do too much to enhance the shot, its just there

Most reactions

Back