First couple raw with PP

mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.deannachambers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have been doing lots of shooting and focusing on PP. I know the composition in these could have been better. If the tractor had been more off to the ride entering the frame and of course if I had my whole foster puppy in the frame. But I like both of them and wanted your opinion on the pp. Is the saturation too much. Thanks for looking. Comments, critique are always welcome. Got mah big girl panties on.
4668937759_95b165355e_b.jpg

4669554086_19c629dd26_b.jpg

Last edited:
I like both of them, and the colors in the 2nd photo to me look really nice! not a lot of cc i guess but i do like both the photos

I think they look really great aside from the puppy's body being too bright and having no fur detail left. Did you bring up the brightness on that?

I really like what you did in #2 - I'm guessing the RAW file was much less interesting in the sky too. That's a pretty nice image. I'd crop a bit off the left and bottom though.

Hmm... I had to edit this one, I like it. I went a bit heavy on the editing.. added some 'watermarks' too

ZAC94.jpg

EDIT:

Here's one with some vulgar PP. :)

h749L.jpg

Thanks for the tip reznap and the edit you have to tell me what you did so I can go play with the raw file lol. I am going to work on the puppy one too. I might have increased brightness a bit I have to go look again but thanks. Guessing you increased saturation/contrasts while cropping. I love the crop version will have to do that to mine also. It brings more focus on the sky which I liked.

I did all the editing on the jpeg with Viveza 2. Basically changed brightness, contrast, and saturation (decreasing it in most cases, because bringing down the brightness and increasing the contrast tends to pump the saturation way higher than wanted..)

I really like the diagonal lines of the crops (wheat?) in your photo, leading you right up to the dream-like hilly horizon and the beautiful sky.. Really nice.

Wow that looks like a pretty big farm. Although we have a lot of farms out here our biggest farms are like 100 acres maybe.

I like reznap's with the "vulgar PP". reznap: is that just messing with the curves? I'm still trying to figure out how to do that well.

EDIT: Sorry I missed your post above.

Last edited:
It's underexposed 1/2 a stop. The sky tone is off somewhat and that's a bit darker than John Deere green really is but that's mostly due to the underexposure. Underexposure saturates colors (good for sunsets).

You don't mention what Raw conversion software you used. I use ACR (Adobe Camera Raw). I have my ACR configured to capture sharpen all of my images.

The near side off the tractor is in shadow so a little dodge in there would help. Selecting just the sky (and saving the selection) you can work on the hue and vibrance. Retrieving the selection and selecting Inverse you can make an Exposure adjustment layer to add .5 stop of exposure to all that isn't sky.

Select just the tractor tractor/fertilizer and you can sharpen just that part of the photo to give it some pop.

I would crop away about 1/3 of the sky.

Then you can adjust the mid-tone contrast, dodge and burn to taste and wind up with something like (without the crop, and then a pano crop):

Pano4669554086_19c629dd26_b.jpg

^KmH's adjustments with the crop I had in mind is my new official standing on this. I never looked at it as underexposed but he's kinda right..

I also kinda dig that super wide 'pano' crop.

Reznap - Thanks for explaining it. Gives me more practical application to try and duplicate what others who are more profficient with PP.

Supraman215 Hehe we farm 3500 acres my husband and my father-inlaw, mother-in-law. Im a busy lady during the summer fall.

Keith your amazing. The edit looks awesome. Thanks for the explanations. I am just using PSE8 and in View Nx I choose to open it with PSE and it brings up a second box apart from the main PSE8 editor. I will have to look and see what it is I actually thought it was just part of the PSE8 program.

Forgive me if my multiquote screws this post up. Erose tried explaining multiquote to me. :er: apparently I just dont get it.

Last edited:
It's underexposed 1/2 a stop. The sky tone is off somewhat and that's a bit darker than John Deere green really is but that's mostly due to the underexposure. Underexposure saturates colors (good for sunsets).

You don't mention what Raw conversion software you used. I use ACR (Adobe Camera Raw). I have my ACR configured to capture sharpen all of my images.

The near side off the tractor is in shadow so a little dodge in there would help. Selecting just the sky (and saving the selection) you can work on the hue and vibrance. Retrieving the selection and selecting Inverse you can make an Exposure adjustment layer to add .5 stop of exposure to all that isn't sky.

Select just the tractor tractor/fertilizer and you can sharpen just that part of the photo to give it some pop.

I would crop away about 1/3 of the sky.

Then you can adjust the mid-tone contrast, dodge and burn to taste and wind up with something like (without the crop, and then a pano crop):

Pano4669554086_19c629dd26_b.jpg

That last one is the right crop for that photo.

Most reactions

Back