First photo shoot at the zoo!

keller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm going to the local city zoo with my camera. This will be the first time I'm going to be doing serious photography with animals.

Does anyone have advice on how I could do animal photography? The biggest problems I'm having is lighting. Whenever I did animal photos in the past, I'd always get terrible contrast, even on digital. For example, there would be bright light all over the photo, but splotches of dark shadows all over the animal. Should I try to photograph only under overcast conditions?

Overcast is defintely ideal, because as you mentioned, the contrast has a special way of ruining many photos which would have otherwise been pretty good. You have probably already (or will quickly) learn that the best way to avoid the numerous fences, cages, enclosures (etc) is to use a zoom as well as a larger aperture, and get as close to the fence as possible.

Now, I have just done this once, but you might want to consider, if the animal is not moving, to experiment with some HDR. I will post a picture I took several weeks around sunset, therefore lots of contrast, and each photo was either over or under exposed in portions, of a tiger laying very very still and exposed -2, 0, 2 (continual shooting), combining them when I returned home.

144404722_b44ae40134.jpg

If you are looking for information, just try searching "photography zoo" I just did quickly (I was actually looking for a specific site but couldn't find it) and came up with lots of useful results.

mmmm.
tiger.
:)
have you done something with the grass in the background?
what?
which camera do you use?

The only post processing to this photo was HDR, and bringing out the eyes a little bit with saturation, as well as removing a 'log' that was right at the top of the photo. (You might be able to see a 'line' about a centimeter down from the top right). The grass in the background may look unnaturally 'bokeh' due to a slight dip where that trock is, therefore making is closer then it truly is. Neat effect though.

This was shot was taken with a Canon 20D. (My 350D is/was in the shop)

Well I'll be using film so I cant combine it. I've heard slide film has really low tolerance for different light levels, which is my main concern. Although I guess shooting in hazy weather will help.

I should probably buy myself a film scanner soon...but they're just too expensive now ($500 min for an ok one)

Most reactions

Back