First photos... need an advice!

Irina_Ser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Hello, professionals! I've just got started my first new camera (Nikon D3400) and there is so much to learn about it. Anyway, I tried to post several pictures on shutterstock (just for a portfolio, not for trade) and it didn`t even pass moderation. I just wonder how can I improve the quolity of my pictures? Is that so bad? Can it be possible with my camera? Or maybe it`s better to find another platform for newbies?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 351
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    925.8 KB · Views: 306
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 309
  • example.png
    example.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 320
These have some noise and white balance issues. Shutterstock has HIGH standards for images, and is a site that has many very skilled shooters whose images populate the site.

My suggestion would be a complete photography course book, for under $5 US. This book is older, but has hundreds of small drawings that show how to do all types of photo tasks. YES, the cameras are older, but the ideas are still relevant. John Hedgecoe's Complete Photography Course: John Hedgecoe: 9780671475017: Amazon.com: Books

This book has more detail than any web site I have ever seen. The easiest way to improve your pictures is to improve your photography skills. Not yuor "digital imaging workflow", not your "digitial camera operation steps", not your "digitial SLR custom function settings"--but your photography knowledge and skills.

Photography is writing with light. Using light.Seeing light. Harnessing light. Capturing the light. Showing people the light. The light that was there; The light that you brough to the scene,or that you modified.

When you are beginning, "You do not know what it is that you do not know." THAT old saying is why I suggest this specific, inexpensive, common book. This book can show you many things that you probably do not know; it can show you things you can look up on-line, or on YouTube. This book is not the end of it all, but the BEGINNING.

It's HILARIOUS that the first review says, "Doesn't cover digitial." That's the BEST part about this book: it teaches the true fundamentals of photography. Not digital imaging, not how to run Photoshop, not how to edit in Lightroom--but how to MAKE GOOD PHOTOGRAPHS. How to use light. How to see light. How to use and select lenses. How to show shape and texture and depth. How to compose pictures. Things that have been a part of photography since the 1850's; not, "Things that noobs want to know since 2010."

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
These have some noise and white balance issues. Shutterstock has HIGH standards for images, and is a site that has many very skilled shooters whose images populate the site.

My suggestion would be a complete photography course book, for under $5 US. This book is older, but has hundreds of small drawings that show how to do all types of photo tasks. YES, the cameras are older, but the ideas are still relevant. John Hedgecoe's Complete Photography Course: John Hedgecoe: 9780671475017: Amazon.com: Books

This book has more detail than any web site I have ever seen. The easiest way to improve your pictures is to improve your photography skills. Not yuor "digital imaging workflow", not your "digitial camera operation steps", not your "digitial SLR custom function settings"--but your photography knowledge and skills.

Photography is writing with light. Using light.Seeing light. Harnessing light. Capturing the light. Showing people the light. The light that was there; The light that you brough to the scene,or that you modified.

When you are beginning, "You do not know what it is that you do not know." THAT old saying is why I suggest this specific, inexpensive, common book. This book can show you many things that you probably do not know; it can show you things you can look up on-line, or on YouTube. This book is not the end of it all, but the BEGINNING.

Thanks a lot for the book, I consider buying it in the nearest future!
But I also believe that I need practice and I just hope to improve it by correcting my mistakes.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I learned a HUGE amount from John Hedgoe books, years ago. I reccommend them here, still.

Practice and repetition will help you very much. Knowing the basics of classical photography will make your skill set grow very rapidly. The D3400 has a terrific sensor, and "instant image developing".

We have a member here who took my recommendation on a Hedgecoe book or two, and he has made terrific, rapid, substantial improvement in his photography in just a few months. You will too. John Hedgecoe was a full professor of photography at London's Royal College: he was an amazing teacher of photography. He wrote 32 how-to books.

I learned a HUGE amount from John Hedgoe books, years ago. I reccommend them here, still.

Practice and repetition will help you very much. Knowing the basics of classical photography will make your skill set grow very rapidly. The D3400 has a terrific sensor, and "instant image developing".

We have a member here who took my recommendation on a Hedgecoe book or two, and he has made terrific, rapid, substantial improvement in his photography in just a few months. You will too. John Hedgecoe was a full professor of photography at London's Royal College: he was an amazing teacher of photography. He wrote 32 how-to books.
Thanks again! You gave me hope!

I just ordered mine, thanks Derrel.

This guy's books are **amazing**. Organized. Well-illustrated. GREAT line drawings, and many small photos. HUNDREDS of small drawings showing how to do things! Step-by-step breakdowns on topics. How to SEE light.How to FIND light. Where to put the camera! When to use a wide-angle lens. When to use a normal lens. How to light small objects. Lessons on things to learn and perfect. How to Do Anything!

I'm not going to name names, but the TPF member with the Hedgecoe books is kicking butt here. Really, really, really learning how to be a good shooter. It doesn't matter if you're shooting film, or digital, or both: the fundamentals of p_h_o_t_o_g_r_a_p_h_y have remained mostly unchanged for decades now. Light writing. Writing with light.

Hedgecoe's books were part of my early years of University study of photography, back in the mid-1980's time frame. If you cannot find a real-life mentor, John Hedgecoe is the next best thing.

Anyway, I tried to post several pictures on shutterstock (just for a portfolio, not for trade) and it didn`t even pass moderation. I just wonder how can I improve the quolity of my pictures? Is that so bad? Can it be possible with my camera? Or maybe it`s better to find another platform for newbies?
You should not be discouraged. Yes, they have some issues, but it's a good start. My favorite composition is the twigs with water drops on them. The problem is that the depth of field does not include all of the twigs, so it looks out of focus. Just make your DOF deeper and problem solved.

The other shots need a better composition, so study composition and try again. Post on here again.

Hello, professionals! I've just got started my first new camera (Nikon D3400) and there is so much to learn about it. Anyway, I tried to post several pictures on shutterstock (just for a portfolio, not for trade) and it didn`t even pass moderation. I just wonder how can I improve the quolity of my pictures? Is that so bad? Can it be possible with my camera? Or maybe it`s better to find another platform for newbies?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi Irina,

This is a great place to learn from others and improve your photography. While it's fine to post a general question in the Beginners' Forum, you may get better feedback if you post one or two specific images in a thread for C&C (comments and critique) in one of the photo gallery forums. You can see those forums here: Photography Forum If you find that your picture doesn't quite fit into one of the categories, you can post the thread in the General gallery.

Welcome to TPF! :)

I have that book. Or rather, I have a stack of pages and some covers that used to be a book. The binding is completely gone; it's been used that much.

It's a good one!

I am a contributor on Offset, a Shutterstock company. They do require their images to meet certain standards and criterias. It looks like they have given you some feedback as to why the photos didn't pass. Don't give up though!! Keep practicing!! You have a great eye and very creative with your composition. Work on the white balance, exposure and focusing issues. Were you using manual mode when shooting these images? Manual mode will give you the full control on exposure triangle.

You can do this!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If you hang out here and ask questions you will get a lot of great advice.. There's a lot of talent on this board. I got a new camera five years ago and found this site. I took the advice I was given here and practiced, practiced and practiced some more. Don't get discouraged.. Keep shooting and keep asking for feedback.. You'll get there!

This guy's books are **amazing**. Organized. Well-illustrated. GREAT line drawings, and many small photos. HUNDREDS of small drawings showing how to do things! Step-by-step breakdowns on topics. How to SEE light.How to FIND light. Where to put the camera! When to use a wide-angle lens. When to use a normal lens. How to light small objects. Lessons on things to learn and perfect. How to Do Anything!

I'm not going to name names, but the TPF member with the Hedgecoe books is kicking butt here. Really, really, really learning how to be a good shooter. It doesn't matter if you're shooting film, or digital, or both: the fundamentals of p_h_o_t_o_g_r_a_p_h_y have remained mostly unchanged for decades now. Light writing. Writing with light.

Hedgecoe's books were part of my early years of University study of photography, back in the mid-1980's time frame. If you cannot find a real-life mentor, John Hedgecoe is the next best thing.

Can't really add much to this, but I totally agree.

Hey @Derrel you want a sales job? I've got some ocean front property in Arizona, and I actually believe you might be able to pull it off :biglaugh:

Hi, welcome to TPF. I took @Derrel up on the hedgcoe books and I have done many of the projects contained withing, both film and digital. He helped me gain a better understanding on the basics, exposure, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, composition, types of photography, etc. Very easy to read and when you try some of the projects, it really brings things all together. The thing with you tube for me as a beginner, I had no idea where to start, what was good, etc. Additionally, doing the projects makes photography fun, at least for me, and gets you out shooting.

Your new D3400 is a very capable kit. Start by reading the camera manual. My biggest mistake I made with the D3300 was I shot way too many images in auto. Here's the thing, the camera is stupid. Crap in, crap out. In auto mode, you loose all control of the camera's capabilities, it decides what is best and it's often wrong. Modes (P, A, S, M) are varying degree's of user control. Once you understand the basics of each mode, you will gain momentum. So start there in your manual. If you need clarification, post them here in the beginners forum and you will get answers. Additionally, as an example; you read up up on program mode in your manual, maybe look through a Hedgcoe book on program mode, you watch a couple of you tube videos on using program mode D3400, go shoot some frames in program, and finally, post your sample images along with questions here.

I would also encourage you to read up on the camera's metering system right away as well. spot, center, and matrix. Post questions you have in the beginners forum.

Read up on program mode and metering system. Order a couple of Hedgecoe books.

Most reactions

Back