Moe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[deleted]

Last edited:
#1: really like it! :thumbup: great use of DOF

#2: its probably just me, but I find the background very distracting, it keeps drawing my eyes away from the subject of the shot.

Last edited:
Lucky shot with the last one, it came out well! I think you've got the DOF perfect - nice, interesting shot there.

I like #1. The colors are great. Next time you're in Japan, do it again and try to get all of one label in focus. - TF

Wow. Japan. I bet that's a nice, interesting place! Here are my CCs:

#1 - great idea, but the picture is a bit warm for me. I agree about having the labels in focus.

#2 - a ton of Buddah. I would crop out the flowers/background in the back and just focus the crop on the Buddahs.

#3, 4 & 5 - it's ok. Doesn't really do anything for me.

Thank you all. I agree on the first one, but it was kind of rushed because I was in a store and wasn't sure if I should've been taking pictures. I was actually surprised it turned out as well as it did. With regards to the Buddahs, I kind of liked the splash of color in the background. I have plenty from that day with different compositions. I'll post more later.

I think the Buddha shot is the best but maybe composed hastily.
The colors and bokeh in the background are cool but you have violated the rule of thirds (almost exactly half of the picture is statues, the other half background). I wish you could see at least one statue head to toe. Having their feet cut off is distracting to me. I don't believe that cropping the image down will improve it. Maybe.

I like pictures of other cultures.. That last one makes them look like a real defeated bunch. Is there a lot of that gloom?

I like pictures of other cultures.. That last one makes them look like a real defeated bunch. Is there a lot of that gloom?

No, but everyone just keeps to themselves and just stares off into space, or at their cell phone. Hardly any eye contact is made, and everyone is so nice it almost makes you suspicious of them.

I like the chopstick idea, but you've got half of a pair and another half of a pair in focus... I think this could be improved by just choosing one pair of chopsticks and making that one pair in focus.

I really like the first, second and last one...Good idea on the last one in my opinion.

#5 is by far my fav. Not for any technical reason, just for the style. I am a big fan of "Urban Candids". Very nice shot.

#1: Love the colors, but the DOF is too shallow. Like others have suggested, having one set of chopsticks in focus would have been better.

#2: I would have isolated the Buddhas here. Same DOF though, I like that. Here's a 5:4 crop with a quick clone job (to get rid of some purple in the background) and levels adjustment:

buddha_edit.jpg

#3: I would like to see the color version of this.

#4: I like this shot. Although I wish all the kimonos were in focus. I'd like to see the colors pop more also. Here's a quick levels and saturation adjustment:

kimono_edit.jpg

#5: I love the somber mood in this one, the black and white does it justice. Maybe a minor levels adjustment.

Nice job overall!

cloudhands69 said:
The colors and bokeh in the background are cool[. . .]
Yikes. The bokeh in this shot (#2) is terrible. See how the points of light at the top of the photo have morphed into circles? That's bad bokeh. Ideally it should be a nice and smooth blurred background (good bokeh).

Most reactions

Back