First post - first piccies

m0rph3us

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello folks, just introducing myself, I'm a bit of an amateur at this whole photography lark but am finding it fun, after 12 years of marraige culminating in divorce I've now found a hobby and am just after opinions if it's something I should keep up with? heres a small sample of my work taken locally (crewe in the UK) just on a small sony VX something or other (I always thought VX was a nerve gas but there ya go)

Heres a small gallery of some of my pictures

All comments welcomed, even the negative ones *sniffs* :blushing:

http://podnet.white.prohosting.com/

Welcome to TPF!:thumbup:

Your pictures look great and I can see you're interested in landscapes & sunsets! One thing you can do that's easy in composition is to avoid splitting the frame in half when taking landscape shots.:thumbup:

I see you're just down the road from me too! Where were your shots taken from? (I'm sure I recognise the road in #1 :lol: )

The road in #1 is the car park over the back of the georges playing fields (have a squint and you can see the swings on the playing fields), had been walking in the park and saw that as we came out, just had to snap it there and then.

What is a good ratio for composition, I've tried a few different ratio's and the "sun rays" one seems to work the best.

Most of the pictures are hurleston reservoir or the canals around church minshull so you may well recognise some of the shots, gonna get up to tegs nose or cloud end if the snow comes, cant wait to see what they turn out like.

For composition try to keep to the rule of thirds. i.e divide your frame into lines at 1/3rd intervals & place horizontal & vertical features along them and points of interest/focus on the intersections. (Hope that makes sense?)

The Cloud is fantastic in the early morning with the mist on the fields and another good spot is Mow Cop Castle especially if you get it in snow but you have to watch the angles to keep the silly guard rails hidden! :lol:

got a cracking sunset from mow cop, perfectly clear sky in summer and the colours went through the whole bright orange to deep violet spectrum, in fact it's when we had that optical illusion with the moon looking bigger than usual.

I've not heard of the rule of thirds (being a newbie) but yeah I understand what you mean "after the storm" and "cloudscape" are nearer to what you explained (if i'm understanding correctly)

cheers

m0rph3us said:
I've not heard of the rule of thirds (being a newbie) but yeah I understand what you mean "after the storm" and "cloudscape" are nearer to what you explained (if i'm understanding correctly)

cheers

Yep that's it!:thumbup:

Also your Canal at Dusk is a good example of a diagonal line leading into the photograph! It draws the eye in and can lead to your main subject if you wanted it to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back