First post to TPF and first roll of B&W film in 16 years!

Werley102

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My grandfather, who had been a photographer for part of his life, died just over a year ago. He attended photography school after getting out of the Navy after WWII and worked part-time at a local studio for a number of years. A few months ago my grandmother gave me two of his camera and lenses. She gave me a Kodak Retina IIa and a Chinon CE II Memotron with the following lenses; Chinon 55mm/f1.7, Chinon 35mm/f2.8, Aetna Coligen 135mm/f2.8, Tamron 80-210/f3.8-4 and a Soligor 100-300mm/f5. Initially I was happy to have expanded my lens collection for my Canon T3i, I had purchased an M42-EOS adapter. But then I decided to put a batter in the Chinon and get some B&W film. I have to say that I love the feel of a mechanical camera. I like the control over all of the settings and the manual focus. I really like not having the instant feedback of a digital camera as well. I eventually want to get into developing my own film but right now life is a little too crazy to start. Anyway, here are some of the photos that I got from my first roll. I used Tri-X 400.

Interior of an abandon cabin. I did edit slightly in Lightroom. I increase the clarity a bit and a slight crop.

Cropped for 8x10

I am looking for feed back on the photos as well.

Hi. Welcome to the TPF.
Looks like you've got two good cameras. Chinon is built like a tank and 55/1.7 is a surprisingly good lens, but then Cosina is making bodies and glass for the most famous companies in the world. No wonder here. However check your low speeds like 1/4 sec and longer. If this seem right you're good. (Sometimes old lube is getting thick and that hampers low speeds.) Retina 2a is a great camera, it only lacks light meter. Again, check the shutter, in this camera dust can affect it. I am not sure what lens you have on it Ektar or Xenon. My 2a has a Xenon and it is very, very sharp lens.
For the first batch of pics, they are not bad, but until you start own development it will be here hard to tell if the light meter on Chinon is a bit over exposing or if the film is a bit over developed. Plus Tri-X IMO is not really the best in full sun, at least until you learn how to develop TX exposed in such a conditions, in sunny weather something like Ilford FP4+ seems to be better.

I usually use 100 speed film outdoors, and 400 indoors/lower light - the 400 TriX might have been too fast (light senstitive) for a fairly bright day. I use Kodak TMAX or TriX and the Ilford films, any of those would probably be good options. I love doing darkroom work too, never get tired of slding the paper into the developer and seeing the picture emerge.

You might try different films and adjust settings as needed, but your compositions are really nice. I like the first one, shooting into the lighted windows probably was challenging, but that'd be a great subject to go photograph again. Lovely portraits too.

The Kodak Retinas are supposed to be really good cameras w/good lenses. Great story too, hope you enjoy using them.
Just for fun you might want to look at Film Photography Project | An Internet Radio Show & On-Line Resource for Film Shooters Worldwide - info. with a sense of humor.

Hi, and welcome to TPF! I've moved your thread out of the Alternative Processes forum, since just shooting film isn't exactly an alternative photographic process, though some digital buffs like to think it so. :razz:

Sounds like you picked up on some wonderful gear - keep posting (check out our Gallery section) and have fun! :)

The Chinon works great and I have no issues with the shutter. The Retina has the Xenon lens. Shutter is fine in that one as well. I really like the leaf shutter. It's super quiet. The only problem with the Retina is that there appears to be some fungus in the lens. I'm not sure how its going to affect the image quality. But I am happy to have it for sentimental reasons anyway.
I know the conditions I was shooting in were a bit harsh for the tri-x 400. It was the film that I had available at the time and I wanted to take it out for a test drive. I plan in trying out Ilford FP4+. And I want to try out the Delta 3200 as well.
I'm curious, what is the approximate cost of attaining the equipment to develop film at home. I have some experience with developing film way back in high school but the equipment and the chemicals were supplied by my school. Does any one have a ballpark figure?

What you will need is a good stop watch (smartphone ?), a good thermometer and here a word of caution; the regular "photographic" thermometers are wildly inaccurate with differences to up to 3-4 degrees. It's better to buy a scientific thermometer, that may take a few $$. The rest like tank and measuring vessels, used, may cost you a little as $0, just check your add listings around or post yourself add on Craigslist like "looking for" or "want to buy". If nothing right now wait a few days, maybe some photo show will be soon in your are. You may also check here:
Developing Tanks & Drums| B&H Photo Video

What you will need is a good stop watch (smartphone ?) [...]

I use a cheap Timex watch with a stopwatch on it. I used to use my phone, and that works too - but what do you do if it starts ringing while you're developing film? :lol:

I've found used darkroom equipment pretty cheap; I bought a few things at a local camera swap and they threw in extras, carried it to my car... even the camera dealers sometimes seem glad to find a buyer for it!

An enlarger might be the biggest expense. I'd been using a darkroom at a local university but with the building being renovated for other purposes I started rounding up my own equipment so I can set up something at home.

I use a cheap Timex watch with a stopwatch on it. I used to use my phone, and that works too - but what do you do if it starts ringing while you're developing film? :lol:
By good I meant easy to operate, resistant to some moisture.
And, you never pick up the phone, cell or otherwise, when you developing, you watch that watch to not to miss your mark, talk, sex or beer later. Unless it's a stand in Rodinal. :boogie:

By good I meant easy to operate, resistant to some moisture.
And, you never pick up the phone, cell or otherwise, when you developing, you watch that watch to not to miss your mark, talk, sex or beer later. Unless it's a stand in Rodinal. :boogie:

I would leave my developing film for sex :lol:

Most reactions

Back