First real C&C post

benlonghair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everybody. Been shooting with my D60 for about 2 weeks now. Here's a few that I'd like people's thoughts on. The first two are my cousin's daughter, and the second two were messing around with my new tele.

Nikon D60 w/ 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR
55mm, f/9, 1/800, -0.7EV, ISO 800, Apeture Priority, Manual focus
Some color adjustments, cropped.

Nikon D60 w/ 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR
55mm, f/9, 1/200, -0.7EV, ISO 800, Apeture Priority, Auto focus
Some color adjustments, cropped.

3. Nikon D60 w/ Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR
300mm, f/11, 1/125, -0.7EV, ISO 400, Shutter Priority, Auto focus
Just cropped

4. Nikon D60 w/ Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR
300mm, f/14, 1/125, -0.7EV, ISO 400, Shutter Priority, Auto focus
Just cropped.

They all seem slightly out of focus, but they're beautiful moments. <3

They all seem slightly out of focus, but they're beautiful moments. <3

Ya, the focus on the first one is probably the best. I'm really not happy with the manual focus on either lens. I really have to shoot more to get used to it.

Without some post processing (sharpening and contrast) that's as good as digital images get with a kit lens. To bad the EXIF data got stripped.

Here's some info to study:

Photography Composition Articles Library

That's a great link, thanks.

How do I keep the EXIF data with jpgs?

Does anybody have reccomendations on books to check out? I'm looking at Understanding Exposure to start with.

Last edited:
I could see a little more Depth of field used on the first one, she's clearly the center of attention there. With the background waterfall and the percentage of the frame she is taking up I like the even focus area on the second just like it is.

Sweet shades :cool:

To add to previous comments:

1 - You cut the girl's foot. If you go for a full body shot, make sure that you get the whole body.
1&2 - Loose the shades! They hide most of the girl's face and you cannot really see her expression.
3 - The focus is on the flower not on the bee (which I assume is the subject)
4 - Might look better if the bird was lower down in the frame (look-up Rule of Third on this forum or Google).

Without some post processing (sharpening and contrast) that's as good as digital images get with a kit lens.

I disagree. You can get much better pictures with a kit lens, even without post-processing. For example, in shot 2, at f/9 and 1/200s, the kit lens would have delivered a sharp shot if the photographer had focussed on the girl and not the stones/plants just behind her. Unless the lens is faulty, that is clearly user error and not due to the kit lens.

I'm using the same equipment as the OP and get similar comments on my postings regarding focus.

There is usually one part of my photo that is in sharp focus, but I get "surprised" as to what part it is most of the time. Maybe the AF has a learning curve to pick up on the subtleties? or maybe it just doesn't work well? or maybe I'm too fast with my focusing and not paying attention?

Anyway, thought it might be more than a coincidence that we get the same comments.

I'm using the same equipment as the OP and get similar comments on my postings regarding focus.

There is usually one part of my photo that is in sharp focus, but I get "surprised" as to what part it is most of the time. Maybe the AF has a learning curve to pick up on the subtleties? or maybe it just doesn't work well? or maybe I'm too fast with my focusing and not paying attention?

Anyway, thought it might be more than a coincidence that we get the same comments.

The first two the focus is entirely on me, since they're shot on manual. The manual focus on the 18-55 is kinda touchy, I just need to get used to it.

On the second two, it seems like the AF area is a bit big to be doing macro with it. There was no way for me to get it to focus only on the bee. It either wanted to pick up the flower or the ground behind it. I also have yet to learn to AF -> MF to perfect then shoot. The rings on the 70-300 are ass backward, imo. the focus ring should be bigger than 3/4" so my fat fingers can grab it. :)

Thanks for the comments so far, folks. I've still got a lot to learn. A LOT.

To make sure you get the focus where you want when using AF follow these steps:

1-Set the camera to use only ONE focus point (the middle one is best)
2-Point the middle of the viewfinder to the object you want in focus
3-Half press the shutter (the camera will focus on the obect you want to be in focus)
4-Recompose your shot (keeping the shutter half-pressed)
5-Fully press the shutter

Thanks Steph, I'm following all those steps already. However, it seems that the setting of "one focus point" continually reverts itself back to all three :( I can't figure out how to change it and have it stay changed!

I'll need to start experimenting with manual focus.

Thanks Steph, I'm following all those steps already. However, it seems that the setting of "one focus point" continually reverts itself back to all three :( I can't figure out how to change it and have it stay changed!

I'll need to start experimenting with manual focus.

I've seen this happen in auto modes quite a bit. I stay in a manual mode for that exact reason (that and it doesn't mess with my ISO settings in manual). I also like being able to change the focus point on the fly too.

EDIT: You'd think I'd be better at manual focusing. I've never in my life shot an AF camera. My old minolta laughed at the concept of AF.

One more point worth mentioning about #1 is your Point of View. It has that "I'm just gonna stand here and take a shot" look to it. IMO, particularly with children and pets, it is best to get down on their level. More like in #2, but even lower will work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back