First studio shoot (Please critique)

Wilson1990

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
2478738382_f6f4dce5ab_b.jpg

Can't remember the exact set up, but there were 2 softboxes on the right, one medium sized to the very right of the photo, and the other was a small one fired from above pointing down. One barndoor set up pointing at the backdrop and MAYBE another small softbox from the far left. (I used a few different set-ups so I'm not 100% on the last 2)

Put it through photoshop too, removed some spots and a small cut (he got into a drunken fight with a tree the night before) Messed about with the levels and added a bit of vignetting.

More to come.

My biggest problem is the pose. His head looks like it's about to fall off his shoulders.

The lighting could use some work too. It's not bad for your first time but this shot really needs some separation from the background. A hair/shoulder light or a spot on the background would help a lot.

I'm not thrilled with the key light placement but again, it's a matter of personal preference.

Well what would you have done? Light placement wise.

Here's another:

2478969850_ac01711ace_b.jpg

Well what would you have done? Light placement wise.

Here's another:

2478969850_ac01711ace_b.jpg
Much better on the key light. You don't have the hot spots on his forehead like in the first pic.

Work on posing your subject. You can achieve the "in your face" look without having him slump forward. Try having him turn his body towards the key light then angle his head towards the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back