First-Time Camera Purchase With Zero Knowledge...

JollyTimGiant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a camera for around 200$, a budget hobby camera of sorts, while still being very effective for my purposes. The kinds of pictures I enjoy taking are of things far away, and really close macro shots of things like spiders, flowers and fine details. That being said, if anyone could suggest a camera that can do both of those things effectively enough for good shots, and within my price range, that would be amazing! Thanks to all in advance!!

(I assumed when this forum said "Get advice on what equipment to purchase" it meant including a camera itself. If I was wrong, please tell me where to put this question!)

Your average "point & shoot" will have a fairly wide range of focal lengths available, called "optical zoom". That should take you from fairly wide to moderate telephoto without any trouble, but I don't think they will have any macro capability. You might be able to find one that has the option of sticking on a "closeup lens" from the same manufacturer. This would be put onto the front of the lens like spectacles for those macro shots you want.

I guess I always thought lenses were all-in-one. I guess it was kind of foolish to think one lens could do it all perfectly. I will definitely look into a macro lens that can clip onto the existing lens! Thank you very much for your response! :)

A thought just occurred... In order to use one of these clip-on spectacle macro lenses, does the camera need to have an interchangeable lens, or can I use it on a camera with an integrated zoom lens which cannot be taken off?

A thought just occurred... In order to use one of these clip-on spectacle macro lenses, does the camera need to have an interchangeable lens, or can I use it on a camera with an integrated zoom lens which cannot be taken off?
Given your budget, it is unlikely you will find a DSLR with multiple lenses. You could consider film, in which case that is possible to find an SLR and a couple of lenses, but of course it's film, and they will be used.

So the more direct answer is no, the lens will not be interchangeable, and you will be lucky to find a macro attachment that is any good and that will fit onto the lens.

Hmm. Any suggestions as far as brand and/or model I can look into around my price range? I could look into a film camera if it has the zoom/close up capabilities I want, I'm just not fond of the idea of a more hit-or-miss aspect thrown into the mix. The reason I, and obviously most likely the majority of people, like digital is the convenience of reviewing the pictures as I take them. I just need to become more confident in my abilities in photography. Thanks all for the help!

On the Panasonic FZ200 bridge camera, you can put a Raynox macro lens.
But the price is over $300.
A reasonable camera in your price range is the Sony HX50.
Rudi

What are your opinions on a Nikon FM or the Nikon N50 film cameras? I've been told that a cheaper camera in some cases is just as good as a more expensive camera, especially since I just want something that can take great macro and decent long-range shots, so I'm trying to explore all options now. And I've found them for around 50$ each.

Look for a used Canon S95. It's a great advanced point and shoot. You may be able to find some used ones on eBay that are in your budget.

I say the S95, because it's a great P&S. It should give you the range you're looking for, but it also shoots RAW and allows full manual control over your photos, if you want it.

I've heard varying opinions on the newer models (which is why this older model still costs more than the newer one on Amazon).

I have this, and take it with me when I don't feel like using my DSLR.

Canon U.S.A. Support Drivers PowerShot S95

ETA: Check out this sample image: http://www.usa.canon.com/app/images/cameras/powershot/PS_S95/sampleimg/sampleimg_2.JPG

What are your opinions on a Nikon FM or the Nikon N50 film cameras? I've been told that a cheaper camera in some cases is just as good as a more expensive camera, especially since I just want something that can take great macro and decent long-range shots, so I'm trying to explore all options now. And I've found them for around 50$ each.
Film cameras and lenses (if not damaged) will still produce excellent results, and it's not just "convenient" to go with digital, but more like "economical" and "faster" to view the images. You can learn just as well with a film camera as digital (maybe even better), just that you have to wait to see the results and pay a little more due to processing.

For the prospect of both telephoto and macro, there is one way to get both with one lens, and that is to buy a reversing ring so you can mount the long lens backward on the camera and take macro. Obviously everything will be manually adjusted.

I suggest you read up on macro specifically, and photography in general to get some idea of how it all works. For most of us, we would increase our available budget to allow for the purchase of the equipment we need. If that means saving up for longer, so be it.

Hoping to get some opinions on a camera I decided on. I found a good deal on a good condition Canon AE-1 that included a 50mm f1.8 prime lens, a focal 80-200mm lens, and a flash attachment for a decent price. I did a little bit of research on the camera itself, and it seems like a good one. The value of the lenses alone made the sale a no-brainer for what was asked for it.

The Canon AE-1, Nikon F, Pentax K1000...all workhorses and all hold up very well. Canon lenses have great optics and you'll be able to add some very nice lenses for the AE-1 for less money than you'd pay for modern lenses. I say go for it as long as you can trust that the one you're buying is in good working condition. The biggest issue with older film cameras like those are the light seals and sometimes shutter speeds that are slightly off (more common with the slower speeds.) Keep an eye out on places like keh.com - they have a lot of old film equipment for sale and they are very reliable and reasonable with pricing. Even their "Bargain" rated equipment is very good and if you have any problems with them, their customer service is good.

The Canon AE-1, Nikon F, Pentax K1000...all workhorses and all hold up very well. Canon lenses have great optics and you'll be able to add some very nice lenses for the AE-1 for less money than you'd pay for modern lenses. I say go for it as long as you can trust that the one you're buying is in good working condition. The biggest issue with older film cameras like those are the light seals and sometimes shutter speeds that are slightly off (more common with the slower speeds.) Keep an eye out on places like keh.com - they have a lot of old film equipment for sale and they are very reliable and reasonable with pricing. Even their "Bargain" rated equipment is very good and if you have any problems with them, their customer service is good.

Thanks for the response, I'm glad to hear it's a good camera. I'll have to keep an eye out for the light seals and shutter speeds, thanks for the heads up! I hadn't heard of Keh.com before, I'll give them a look as well.

Goods shots are more about the gunner (photographer skill and knowledge) than the gun (the camera used).

Goods shots are more about the gunner (photographer skill and knowledge) than the gun (the camera used).

I couldn't agree more. It's just that I tend to be a jack of all trades and a master of none, haha. Most times intermediate at best. So, I guess I try and compensate with better tools. :)

But, photography is a hobby I really enjoy, and it's one that I haven't lost interest in since I started. I've finally decided to invest more into it but I can be fickle with these things, so a hobby I enjoy, that sticks around is really exciting! I am very thankful for this forum and its members' knowledgeable help with my numerous questions! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back