Fishing in Utah in January - Cold as can be CC

jjparson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, been trying to kill the winter blues here in Utah, received my new lens on Friday and could hardly wait to try it out. Decided to go out fly fishing with a couple of friends on Saturday. The high for the day was a balmy 10 f not c. It was brutally cold, but great to be out nonetheless. We found a few fish and I took some shots. This is my first time trying to capture these kinds of shots with my DSLR, but I will definitely be doing much more of it in the future. Can't beat the Utah outdoors. Looking for help on exposure, had a tough time with the black clothes and snow background. I should have probably used the flash to bring up the exposure on the people. Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

4265281250_4a882c6923_b2.jpg

4265279044_5efb0ea4b3_b.jpg

4265279272_8b471377e7_b.jpg

Yes, you are right....just a touch of flash would have helped bring up the dark tones on the clothing,without affecting the bright snow whatsoever. Even the loss of flash power due to High Speed Synch is a moot issue, since you do not need or want a full-power flash, but just a kiss of light...

What an absolutely beautiful trout your buddy caught there. His hands and fingers look kind of pink--like maybe it was cold out there or something.;)

His fingers were pink for a long time after the picture from the frigid temperature of the water. It was almost a disincentive of catching fish...."what am I going to do once i catch one, oh no I do not want to reach my hand in the water".

I will throw my SB 600 on in the future, just in case. I would have never thought I needed it with all the light everywhere reflecting off of the snow.

Any suggestions for composition?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back