Flash Advice Needed

colnago1331

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, so as evidenced by my sig I am lacking an external flash. I'm new to flash photography. Generally my focus has been landscape/cityscape/architecture, but I'm wanting to broaden my horizons and try out flash photography. I've been going through the Strobist's website/blog and reading as much as I can about flash photography but in the end I need to get out there are start doing it. Theory is fine; practice is better.

Right now I'm trying to decide between an SB600 and an SB800 (both used). Looking at flashes that are comparable in condition, the 800 is only $30 more than the 600. But they also have a more beat-up 800 for $80 less than the regular 800 (and $50 less than the regular 600).

So......first and foremost, is there anything I should be checking in particular with any and all of the flashes? They all turn on. They all flash. And their screens all seem fine. Is there anything overly worrisome about the more beat-up 800 that I should be concerned with? Certainly I can afford any one of them, but, obviously, the less I spend on the flash means the more I have to spend on other lighting gear - an umbrella, light stand, etc. Mainly, I want to make sure I get (a) something that will be useful to me without too many (if any) unusable features, and (b) something that won't die on me in a year or two.

Thanks in advance from this flash newbie.

Last edited:
Nikon makes sturdy well made equipment. When you buy used electronics however, it is a crap shoot. You pay your money, and you take your chances.

As much as I think you'll love a speedlight, I'm with graybeard on this one. Better keep saving up so you can purchase a new one. Or at least a used one from a reputable dealer.

I guess I should say that the place I'm looking to buy from is reputable here in town. It's a local used camera store and I actually got my 10-24mm lens from the same place.

Oh, that's good. I presume there is at least a 30-day warranty or something like that.

I think you are going to like a speedlight.

Yes, they have a 30 day parts/labor warranty so if anything happens during that time I'd be covered. My worry, obviously, is day 31 and forward.

I'd grab better used SB800 if it is in good shape! Otherwise, the SB600's are good flashes if you can get over the poorly designed UI. I have two of them and they are great units!

Used flashes have been good to me...not had one die, yet!!! I would tend toward saying buy the better-condition SB800 for the $30 premium over the SB600, and stay away from ANY beat-up flash unit. Nikon flash units hold their condition quite well, so a beat-up flash has likely lead a VERY hard life,indeed!!! Accessories??? Yes, light stand, umbrella swivel mounting bracket, and a Photoflex or Westcott brand "convertible" style umbrella in 40 to 43 inch size...the basics...yes, all good things to have.

I appreciate the advice, everyone. Thanks!

One follow up question - is it worth another $40 to go from a used SB800 to new SB700?

So you know what I'm looking at/considering price-wise:

Beat up but still working SB800: $200
Used but good condition SB600: $250
Used but good condition SB800: $280
New SB700: $320

Thanks, again, everyone!

I would go for either the $280 SB800 or a new SB700.

if your going to buy used, get it from a reputable dealer like KEH, B&H, or Adorama, where you have a return policy if something is wrong.

if your going to buy used, get it from a reputable dealer like KEH, B&H, or Adorama, where you have a return policy if something is wrong.

He's buying from a real walk in store with people behind the counter and everything. He's bought there before and they have a 30 day warranty on their stuff. I think he's pretty well covered.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back