Flash or something else?

notsue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had never considered a flash outside in daylight before, but I'm learning this isnt that odd...

Would a flash of been my best option to bring more light to the face in this picture, or is there something else I need to do. Just how far away can a flash reach?

clint.jpg

And really, which flash can I get for my camera that isnt super expensive?

It was overcast, 200mm, 5.6, 1/320, iso 800. I have a rebel xt.

I don't know how you "judge" your lighting, and I don't know what features the XT doesn't have that my XSi has... But if you have that little -2 to +2 meter, you should try to make sure it is at 0 when taking this shot... That might have helped... Also with that, if you use spot metering on his face (it might blow out the background) but then you'd be more likely to have a proper exposure on his face...

I'm also sure the baseball cap isn't helping with shadows/underexposure on his face either...

Yes, flash or a reflector would have added more light to the subjects face.

You could have used the built-in flash for fill light too. Using it in manual mode is better for creativity.

A hot shoe mounted flash might have been to high, causing a shadow from the bill of the cap on the subjects forehead.

Light is subject to the "inverse square law", which states that the amount of light falls off as an inverse square function of distance.

In plainer language that says if your subject is twice as far away, only 1/4 as much light will reach the subject, if you double the distance again only 1/16 as much light will reach your subject.

that's good info KmH! Spot metering would get your exposure good on the face, but would certainly plaow out the background. I would suggest trying the on camera flash for outdoor fill. If you want to go the route of hotshoe or off camera flash, there is a ton of stuff out there for you. Most photogs use flash of some sort most of the time (for people photography that is)

I understand the problem with the hat, but its not going anywhere. I think I was quite a bit lower than him because I was taking pictures of kids and just happened to notice him and snapped a quick one. (So the flash might have ended up in the right place) I've been trying to get used to aperture priority mode before I try anything else. I'll check out the meter thing, I dont remember much else from this day.

just happened to notice him and snapped a quick one.
Which is why most snapshots look like, well snapshots.

Well made images take thought and planning, before they are then carefully executed.

Ideally, a strobed light would have been placed camera right for broad lighting, and a reflector or less powerful light placed camera left for fill.

Well made images take thought and planning, before they are then carefully executed.

What do you do when you have a group of people you want to get pictures of, who dont want to cooperate. I put them in a nice environment and wait patiently like a lion stalkin its prey. There was some thought, and some planning, careful execution... maybe not.

KmH explained well the flash fall off.

I didn't see it mentioend, sorry If it was... In general I think an on-board SLR flash effective distance is around 15ft, maybe further for fill. But, Check your manual, sometimes it will tell you what distace to expect there as a starting point. Some also have charts based on ISO settings and such.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back