Foaming A Waterfall In Sunlight: Bending Physics Laws?

JohnYoga

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
RE: New User of Nikon D5100 with "stock" 18-55mm VR Lens

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to understand how to "foam" a waterfall when it is sunny outside. I have the ISO @ 100, the Aperture at its smallest (F36), and blurring via shutter speeds of 1/6" - 1". I get over-exposed pictures, of course. I wonder if I am trying to bend Physics Laws, by trying to do waterfall blurs in sunlight.

Do you have any suggestions to bring me into proper exposure in the current lighting condition? Or, do I need to wait until the environment is more shady before attempting?

Regards,

John

Hi John. That is a situation where you would use a neutral density (ND) filter (or filters). They block light, allowing you to extend the time needed for the exposure.

I typically use a circular polarizing filter for outdoor/landscape shots and it blocks some light, and when I want a longer shutter speed for waterfalls, I use my ND filter. They come in different strengths, or even a variable filter. I can't say which you would need, it depends on the light etc.

Waterfalls ~ Mike Hodson Photography

Ah, thank you, Gentlemen!

I am looking at this filter kit at Amazon: [h=1]Dolica CF-NDK52 52mm 0.3, 0.6, 0.9ND Neutral Density Filter Kit[/h]
Could something like this kit work?

Mike: I LOVE your waterfalls shots...man oh man...

Regards,

John

Thanks John,

Your link didn't work, but that does sound like what you're looking for. Just make sure that you buy the right size for your lens(s). If you have lenses with different filter diameters, then buy filters to fit the largest size, then buy 'step up rings' for the smaller sized lenses.

Also, keep in mind that you don't want to 'cheap out' when it comes to filters. The light has to pass through the filter, just as it does the lens....so a poor quality filter will negatively affect your image quality. Of course, I don't recommend that you go out and buy the most expensive filters either.

Joh..... It looks like you've found a set of 1-, 2- and 3-stop ND filters. Those are nice, but I've found they really don't provide enough density to really turn the water creamy smooth. You can stack them, and get a 6-stop reduction in light, but like Mike stated, you've added a bunch of glass in front of your lens, plus vignetting might me an issue. And if they're 'cheap', your image quality is going to get flushed down the toilet. I'm looking to acquire a 10-stop ND at the moment.

I've used a 10-stop on waterfalls with good result, but depending on the lighting it can also be a bit much sometimes. 2 to 3 minute shutter times pretty much get me everything I want with waterfalls, beaches, etc... but often the 10-stop pushes me well past 5 minutes. I'll probably end up with a 6-stop as well for when 10 is too much.

Also, I agree with everyone else, don't cheap out. Make sure you get multicoated glass (to minimize reflections), in a brass mount (so it doesn't get stuck to the lens).

I've used a 10-stop on waterfalls with good result, but depending on the lighting it can also be a bit much sometimes. 2 to 3 minute shutter times pretty much get me everything I want with waterfalls, beaches, etc... but often the 10-stop pushes me well past 5 minutes. I'll probably end up with a 6-stop as well for when 10 is too much.
Interesting. I think the very longest I've shot running water, was about 20 seconds....and that has always been enough for me. Granted...I'm not shooting lakes or oceans...just streams & waterfalls.

Here is an old shot, I thought it was much longer but the EXIF is telling me 4 seconds. I seem to remember using a polarizer and two ND4 filters...I might be mis-remembering though. You can see a bit of the filter vignette in the lower right corner, the other corners showed the same but were cropped out.
5856-FR-web.jpg

Actually a strong ND filter is the only thing that can help you in your situation... nothing else comes to my mind right now.

dimming the sun works, but you need to find the dimmer switch.

Interesting. I think the very longest I've shot running water, was about 20 seconds....and that has always been enough for me. Granted...I'm not shooting lakes or oceans...just streams & waterfalls.

Here is an old shot, I thought it was much longer but the EXIF is telling me 4 seconds. I seem to remember using a polarizer and two ND4 filters...I might be mis-remembering though. You can see a bit of the filter vignette in the lower right corner, the other corners showed the same but were cropped out.
5856-FR-web.jpg

It is a fine detail, but your water still has some texture remaining. This shot was 150 seconds, which was probably overkill, but it's where I ended up with 10 stops. There is no texture left and the water is completely smooth. Vignetting is heavy however, 10 stops at 11mm.

6249715074_50f0c83afa_b.jpg

Very cool. I may have to pick up a variable or at least a darker ND and some some experimenting. I've been itching to get back out to the Rockies.

It is a fine detail, but your water still has some texture remaining. This shot was 150 seconds, which was probably overkill, but it's where I ended up with 10 stops. There is no texture left and the water is completely smooth. Vignetting is heavy however, 10 stops at 11mm.

6249715074_50f0c83afa_b.jpg

Wow that is absolutely gorgeous. I've been wanting to pick up some filters but they're so expensive for a little filter!

Any particular brands you guys recommend? Or as long as they're coated? It seems like the majority ruling here is to get a higher density filter.

And I'm assuming solid ND's can also apply to landscape, even the heavier density ones?

Most reactions

Back