Food Photography ?

NoteGraphics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've just been offered the chance to shoot my favourite thing.. Food !
Anyone out there with any experience of commercial food photography in the studio with any helpful hints or tips ???

By way of contribution myself...

How to get wonderful reflection shots:
place object to shoot in/on a tray,raised a few millimeters. flood the tray once the shot is set up with vegetable oil and you'l; get soft mirror reflections and a nice surface to bounce coloured light off too....

Or...

To make certain foods look moist -cake for eg - spray with frying-spray just before the shoot. DO NOT eat afterwards !

Anyone have any other tips or tricks ? Advice or info ?

Saw a special in what they do to food on TV once, try dipping grapes in vegetable oil to make them shine. Use glue instead of milk, use crisco instead of oce cream.

You lucky thing! Food is a subject close to my heart and I love taking pictures of food, people and food etc, basically anything food related! I'd love to be offered a chance like you have just been! How did you get offered such a job if you don't mind me asking?! I've often wondered how I might get into this industry.

I've never shot food professionally and don't know any tips or have any advice to give you but I did see this book on Amazon and I may order it soon. Its called: 'Digital Food Photography' by Lou Manna. Looks interesting if you haven't already got it!!

Sunnybird:wink:

Thanks for that sunny...I've looked on amazon and ordered it...

Another one... I've heard that lard was often used in place of ice-cream 'cos the ice-cream melts too fast under the light !

Photos of people and food...
*reaches for the wife and a tin of cream*
heheehee !

Anyone got any ideas on how to make burgers and nuggets look really good ?

No worries, let me know how you get on with it and if its any good as I might order it for myself soon!

I suppose I could you lots of advice, as depending on what you shoot, food wise, there are many hints to improve the quality. I will just list a couple.
[1] When shooting fresh fruit with or without leaves, mix some water with glycerine or similar in a spray bottle and carefully and lightly spray the surface. The drips give the fruit a fresh look.
[2] I agree with "NoteGraphics" re shooting Ice Cream, though have never used lard, but you don't need to worry I personally always use flash in the studio, and as long as you don't muck about, it won't melt. Philip.

www.philipweirphotography.com

Really like the photo's on your site Philip... very nice ! I'll have a go at the "bottle of wine and grapes" shot ! Nice idea, any more ? Anyone ?
<---- inspiration point !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back