For once I did some studio work.

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For anyone who knows or follows my work, you'll know that I use natural light pretty exclusively. Artificial just isn't my style, and it's fairly unfamiliar to me. Today however I shot for a client who needed the shots to be done in studio (the shoot budget included camera and light rental, as well as a seamless. Lighting wise, I forget the brand of strobe. I mimicked the lighting positions that I learned while interning for Michael Thompson; I'll explain the position in depth when I have time.

Looking at the photos I definitely see some flaws in the lighting and exposure that I could definitely improve on. That being said, I'm happy with it for being my first time doing a studio shoot. There are tons more from the shoot, but these ones and a couple others were requested for same-day retouching by the client. There were over 20 looks that had to be covered, 4 models, and we were shooting for 8 hours. Needless to say, I am exhausted, but I feel very gratified.

Exposure details for all photos:
5D MKII
50mm @ f/13
1/125th sec
ISO 250
untitled_by_danostergren-d7u89ko.jpg

untitled_by_danostergren-d7u89kn.jpg

untitled_by_danostergren-d7u89kq.jpg

Definitely a departure from your 'regular' work Dan; what is the intent of these images? The first and third seem decent, albeit I'd like to see greater background/subject separation, but #2 just sort of seems like it didn't quite work. The exposure on the shirts seems a bit hot, and the trousers are in deep shadow, and the quasi split lighting on their faces just seems a little odd to me.

I like them! Definitely different (in a good way).

#2: It seems a bit off center to me.
#3: The guy on the right looks like his right fist is touching his nose. Not that this is a problem, but it distracted me for a moment. :wink:

The first is nice, but the other two don't do much for me. Nice and all, but not even close to the caliber of your natural-light photography.

You gotta pay the bills Dan, but your normal work is outstanding and unique and so far, your studio work is...normal.
And tell those two guys not to pick any bar fights.

Definitely a departure from your 'regular' work Dan; what is the intent of these images? The first and third seem decent, albeit I'd like to see greater background/subject separation, but #2 just sort of seems like it didn't quite work. The exposure on the shirts seems a bit hot, and the trousers are in deep shadow, and the quasi split lighting on their faces just seems a little odd to me.

They're for a look book for a clothing brand called Older Brother. I wasn't playing art director for this shoot though, so I didn't really have much say as far as the concept went. The designers had a shot list already planned out and we stuck to it pretty strictly. I agree, the lighting was a challenge for me and I didn't quite get it right. Had it been natural I think I would have gotten better lighting (which I had strongly urged, since the studio had very large windows next to a large open space, as well as v-flats to provide fill or shadaw) but the designers were very set on their decision.

You gotta pay the bills Dan, but your normal work is outstanding and unique and so far, your studio work is...normal.
I agree, it's boring compared to what I normally do, but this wasn't an art shoot. The shot list was already set up for me and I had to stick to it, and the clothing designers were orchestrating the art direction. I still loved doing it though because I love the designer's clothing, and it put a big chunk of cash in my wallet. I'll be buying a new computer and upgrading from my 5D MKI to a 5D MKII shortly, and this shoot is making that possible for me.

I agree, it's boring compared to what I normally do, but this wasn't an art shoot. The shot list was already set up for me and I had to stick to it, and the clothing designers were orchestrating the art direction. I still loved doing it though because I love the designer's clothing, and it put a big chunk of cash in my wallet. I'll be buying a new computer and upgrading from my 5D MKI to a 5D MKII shortly, and this shoot is making that possible for me.

And while you are a hell of a natural light photographer, I can imagine that studio shoots like these pay much more handsomely. Gotta balance the cash flow with the art flow [emoji106]

And while you are a hell of a natural light photographer, I can imagine that studio shoots like these pay much more handsomely. Gotta balance the cash flow with the art flow [emoji106]
The client is very happy with the shots, although I think I could have done better under different circumstances. I think the next shoot with this client will be done in natural light though.

The client is very happy with the shots, although I think I could have done better under different circumstances. I think the next shoot with this client will be done in natural light though.

I look forward to the results [emoji106]

Definitely agree what with others have said. Hopefully next shoot you will get to use natural light. I usually enjoy your posts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back