For the gun lovers and you haters too. C&C Please.

tertius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The subject mater is a nice little rifle that is used on a near daily basis, so it is not "perfect". I tried to do something a little different, for me, and actually staged a shot. I took some other weapon shots but did not have the time to go through them to pick another and PP.

I am looking for real C&C and the usual.

PP consist of some cloning, contrast and sharpening.

f4
1/30
ISO 800
flash fired (diffused)

4501342187_68be6942a4_b.jpg

I don't know if there's anything really to C&C here. It looks like a shot one would use to sell and item, including this firearm. There's no context within the composition, and it looks as though the gun's just been placed on a white background and a photograph taken.

For me, this shot doesn't do much for me as it's just the gun, as though it were a paperweight. Simply my opinion, and others may disagree.

the top of the part of the grip where u actually hold it not where it mounts looks funky and it looks like u needed to erase a couple more pixels on the bottom left part where the site hangs below the barrel

You are right it is more of a product shot and that is what I was going for. What I wanted to be sure that I executed was the lack of shadow on the back drop.

The gun was suspended from a wire that was removed in PP. The part that is hanging down from the front sight is the original front sling mount. I agree that it looks a little off but not sure I want to remove/erase it. I removed my sling from the rifle for the shot.

What I guess I am trying to find out is if there is enough fill light, details in the black, if the black is black enough and if there is generally enough contrast.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions so far.

What a funny title to a thread.

I am neither a gun lover nor a gun hater. I own guns and will use them if I have to but I sure am not in love with them. Does that mean I shouldn't comment?

I would say you lost some detail in the black (it could just be my laptop screen) however its a pretty good product photo.

Maybe close the ejection port cover? I'm sure that is more personal preference.

What a funny title to a thread.

I am neither a gun lover nor a gun hater. I own guns and will use them if I have to but I sure am not in love with them. Does that mean I shouldn't comment?

I like your humor..

I will answer with this, you will love it when you need it. So it is fully open for your comment.

I left the ejection port open, mostly a personal preference no strong feeling either way. Good to know others are noticing it and your opinion is noted.

Glad you did not take my humor as an attack. I actually had to think about my guns quite a bit in recent months with my move to Europe as many of mine are not legal there. Plus I had gotten used to open carry because of one thing I was involved with in GA...

To get back to C&C. Really depends on what the photo is for. Product shots can be quite different depending on what they are for. Yours is not bad except the gun is floating in nothing. That has always bothered me but it is accepted in some situations such as some catalog work.

My first response was quite serious and it means I am not familiar with gun catalogs or adverts. So I don't really know if this is acceptable in the world of guns.

The other thing is that the light seems to come from straight above and straight right. I would have used a reflector to throw some back from the front to bring out more of the details.

Since you mention using this on a near daily basis, may I ask what it is you do?

Nice kit, Go LaRue!

Heck yeah, no pun intended. How do you know of LaRue?!?!?

I do see the floating nature of the shot. I *do not* have experience with product shots and welcome all comments. I should also mention this is not for anything other than learning how to use light and other tools.

Should there be a shadow, or does it depend on the product shot and standard layout?

The picture below was the set up used (please excuse the mess and rigging, went out and thought "I want to do a product type shoot of some things"). There was also a large roll up door to the right and back a little.

4503738487_61c52a1f98_b.jpg

The metal on the table was used to reflect the light back onto the backdrop. When I shot the rifle the light on the 2x2 was on the 2x4 on the ladder.

I wanted to use a reflector but i have spent the available funds for photo gear for this month and could not get one just yet.

My criticism would be that your barrel is too long and you need an SBR......;)

Last edited:
Nice looking rifle! Colt? with A1 stock, EOTech carbine gas system with a short gas block and 16" HBAR?

I would like to have flip up sights but don't want to spend the money on them right now. I will probably get a flashlight next. Can you have a collapsable stock in NY?

My criticism would be that your barrel is too long and you need an SBR......;)

Well, I have thought about pinning the flash hider to a total length of 16". Also, IF I went the SBR route, it would be the 12.5 with a suppressor!! So that would be close to the same 16", nice thought though.

Pinned flash hiders are pretty good, they definitely take the length off........but If you get the it SBR'd you can have multiple uppers which is infinitely better:D

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0365-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back