formatting Sandisk CF w Nikon D200 ??

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by TerpTide4, Dec 19, 2007.

1. TerpTide4

TerpTide4 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a brandnew D200, followed instructions (twice) on how to format my new Sandisk Extreme III 4 GB CF, after completing this process meter reads 100 shots available.

This can't be right, can it? The CF card is empty!

Any words of wisdom?

Cheers

2. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you have the menu set to RAW capture? Still, that would make them 40 meg files each. Maybe put the card in your reader and do a scan for bad sectors.

3. itoncool

itoncool TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have D200 and Sandisk Extreme III 4 Gb too. Even if I set to RAW + JPEG Fine, I still have 156 shoots after formatted.

I always format the CF twice, first from Computer then through Camera before use. Because sometimes your camera couldn't read some files from computer. I don't mix my CF, I have CF only for my Nikon DSLR and I have CF only for my Canon P&S.

4. TerpTide4

TerpTide4 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D200 is set on normal - jpeg, not raw, aware of the difference - thanks for bringing this to my attention. Chart in manual shows with capabilities for 1GB to be over 150 for normal setting - shouldnt I be looking at a reading of close to 500?

5. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are trying to format it using the "2 button push format"... it will not do a complete format... but if you use the MENU and format from there, it will format the complete disk for you.

6. TerpTide4

TerpTide4 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks JerryPH - now I am getting worried because I actually did the "two button" twice and the menu version once - same result.
    Thanks for your response, perhaps a faulty CF

Or I am missing something..

7. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Two button will (or is supposed to) delete all diectories that the camera created on it, but if you renamed any directories, it won't kill those.

The menu version is supposed to totally format everything on it.

If the in camera format doesn't work, it could be a defective card. Try formatting it on the computer with the CF card in a USB card reader. I paid $30 for mine and it is a USB v.2.0, so it is fast, and works flawlessly.

If it doesn't work in the card reader, your card is in need of being replaced.

How old is your card by the way?

Edit:
    Oh, I forgot to add... use a light and shine it into the card holder slot in the camera... look for any bent pins. If you forced it in wrong or lightly at an incorrect angle, you could have damaged one or more pins inside the camera.

8. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I want to ask too how old is the card?have you used it before?? Might there be some images sitill on there from a former use??. Did you get image recovey software with the card? The software I got with mine has a "full erase" feature it this might help to erase any old latent images that might still be on the card.

9. TerpTide4

TerpTide4 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's a brand new disk and a brand new camera - was just going thru the stages of formatting it to use for the first time.

10. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With my Extreme IV 8gb card using RAW only, I see 458 pics available on an empty card. On a 4gb card you would see about 250.

On a 2gb card you should see about 100. Is it possible you got a 2gb card instead of a 4gb?

If it is REALLY a 4gb card, time to take it back to where you purchased it and tell them there is an issue. 4gb cards should be AT LEAST 250 pics at it's highest quality settings.

11. itoncool

itoncool TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    TerpTide4, Are you sure it's 4 Gigs? if yes and it's still brand new then you should go to the store and return it.

Jerry, seeing your post makes me realize that our 8 Gb Extreme IV doesn't have the same quantity when empty. Mine shows 480 on RAW only. 4 Gb Extreme III 240 RAW shoots (empty). 2 Gb Extreme III 120 RAW shoots (empty).

I wonder what makes the different, is it the quality of the CF are not same, the age of the CF or the formating flow? My 8 Gb Extreme IV is new.

12. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Which is all I shoot.. lol. Yes we match. That is also what I meant by highest quality. I did not include RAW+JPG, which would lower it.

Also remember that those are approximations, and since we are on the topic... it is never a good idea to shoot any card down to 0. If it attempts to write that last file and cannot, it could corrupt the entire contents of the card costing you an enormous loss.

I don't shoot less than about 10 pics left and even then, more often than not, at the 50% of an event or evening... I swap to the 2nd card no matter how much is on the 1st one.