Fotorix Studio - My Pro Wildlife Photography

What about My Shot?

• Total voters

fotorix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Great shots but the fence just kills them.

How can that be wildlife when they are caged up :x

Lion inside cage or outside predators always called "wildlife" ... :)

Kind of true in the same way that close up shots of dragonflies and flowers get into macro even though they are far from 1:1 magnification required for true macro work. However once you start working pro you've got to get your terms right and the above are not wildlife images. The animals are certainly not domesticated, but they are also not in a wild setting or environment thus you've not taken wildlife shots you've taken zoo/zoolife/captive shots of rarer animals.

It's fairly clear in your shots above since there is a fair amount of fence present, but it could easily be misinterpreted or the fence not shown in zoo shots (eg your last shot).

How can that be wildlife when they are caged up :x

Lion inside cage or outside predators always called "wildlife" ... :)

Kind of true in the same way that close up shots of dragonflies and flowers get into macro even though they are far from 1:1 magnification required for true macro work. However once you start working pro you've got to get your terms right and the above are not wildlife images. The animals are certainly not domesticated, but they are also not in a wild setting or environment thus you've not taken wildlife shots you've taken zoo/zoolife/captive shots of rarer animals.

It's fairly clear in your shots above since there is a fair amount of fence present, but it could easily be misinterpreted or the fence not shown in zoo shots (eg your last shot).

Before fighting over wildlife etc first learn whom called "wild life"

Lions are not home life or pet animal u can call them wild animal not home animal secondly useless and baseless discussion going on... anyway ... keep going

thanks,

Wildlife is a term used to describe animals which are wild and also free to roam - ie they are not within an enclosed caged environment and this is the rough definintion you'll encounter in most places and with most competitions. You can't pass of zoo/captive animals as pure wildlife because its not the case. Heck recently there was this case:
Wildlife photographer of the year stripped of his award | Environment | The Guardian
which shows that such is considered cheating. Yes the wolf is not domesticated nor tame (ok that was kind of tame...) but it is not a free roaming animal in its environment.

Really like "silent hunter" and "Oll ee" caged or wild doesn't matter to me

No No No proper wildlife photographer go out get cold and dirty, can spend weeks on end stalking their pray just for one good shot., ayone can go to the zoo and take shots of animals that can hardly move Andy Rouse

No No No proper wildlife photographer go out get cold and dirty, can spend weeks on end stalking their pray just for one good shot.

actually the rich ones just use trail cameras and camera traps and let them do all the sitting in the rain ;) though I can't argue against the whole spending weeks/months just to get the one shot!

I agree with the consensus, but this may be a matter of colloquialism.

I fail to see how its a debate - to me its like trying to say studio photography and street photography are the same thing because they both happen to (typically) involve people as the main subject. Zoo/captive is very different in shooting to wildlife - yes similar skills come into play and yes they might well be the same species as your subjects; but they are very different arts to master with each having its own pitfalls and difficulties.

As I said before its not a criticism on the photos where they were taken, its the label one attaches to them that is important and the main point of my stance.

I fail to see how its a debate - to me its like trying to say studio photography and street photography are the same thing because they both happen to (typically) involve people as the main subject. Zoo/captive is very different in shooting to wildlife - yes similar skills come into play and yes they might well be the same species as your subjects; but they are very different arts to master with each having its own pitfalls and difficulties.

As I said before its not a criticism on the photos where they were taken, its the label one attaches to them that is important and the main point of my stance.

:thumbup:

Fotorix, I know you probably didn't do this intentionally, but it's a rather touchy subject, especially for the people who do enjoy "Wildlife" photography. You've got some very nice looking shots, but anything that shows captivity, IMO, is out. When I go to a zoo to shoot, my #1 rule is to eliminate any hint of it being in a zoo. Even such, if I post them, I will state they were "canned" shots.... To me, there is no debate whatsoever.

I disagree, Wildlife is all non-demesticated animals,plants and organisms, So any picture of a non-domesticated animal should be considered wildlife. Photographers and photography groups will often put their own additional requirements on what they will except as wildlife photography. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated

Most reactions

New Topics

Back