Frank's daily photo 2017

city hall winter sun.

17 01 02017

Bonn city hall is an IMO ugly building from the 1970ies. It had some decorative elements that have been torn down due to instability. The operating costs are over the top by any standards and some people think the savings of a new building alone would justify to tear the old building down and put a new construction in place. But I believe this is pure fiction. As far as I know public building projects in Germany and especially in Bonn tend to cost next to nothing when the parliament originally starts them and in the end exceed the original costs by a factor between 3 and 20. Last big one in my home town was the United Nations Convention Center. In the beginning the cost was estimated as ZERO, currently we have a bill of more than 300 Million Euros to fit.

(German Wikipedia Entry: World Conference Center Bonn – Wikipedia )
smallPC170041_v1_.JPG

So this morning before 9 am the sun spread his still warm orange rising winter light over the building which made for a nice study in geometric possibilities.

It could not possibly be uglier than Boston's city hall. The ugliest building in the city set in the middle of a cement concourse that is just hideous! I don't have any shots of my own but just google it. The only thing it's good for is Red Sox and Patriots championship rallies, lol. Contrast that monstrosity with our beautiful State House with it's gold dome and stately pillars and you'll see why it's the ugliest building in the city!

boston city hall - Google Search

boston state house - Google Search

.cold light of morning.

18 01 02017

Two annotations:

The lemon shaped circles of confucion the 105E Nikkor produces can be clearly seen here

I had to think of a song by Placebo, thus the title:

smallHTT_0055_00001_.JPG

smallHTT_0076_00001_.JPG

smallHTT_0087_00001_.JPG

Last edited:
.freezing plant.

19 01 02017

My wife was even talking about "rare double digit negative temperatures", but this is not the case for Bonn, which is always a bit warmer than the neighbouring settlements due to weather protection by the Rhine Valley terraform and moderation by the River and 320.000 people living in this protected and moderated bowl. Yet, -8°C and -9°C we see here as soon as the nights get clear and open as they curently are. This bush clearly shows how it feels about the frost.

Technical D500 & 1.8/50G @f/5.6 sharpening might be a bit overdone in RAW conversion. What do you think?

smallKC1_3888_00001_.JPG

.St. Joseph Beuel.

19 01 02017

Beuel, my city of birth, later became part of Bonn. This church is standing right next to the Hospital of the same name that witnesses my being extracted from my mothers innards 50 years ago.

technical: For those of you with fast lenses, try the pano style I created many years ago. Instead of panoeing at f/11 or f/8, do it fully open like I do it quite often. Pano of four shots 105E on the D600 1/160 s and f/1.4

smallst_joseph_bonn_20012016_.JPG

.a forest of signs.

21 01 02017

Import/Export, One-Euro-Shops, Call-Shops and some other businesses seem to have a stark affinity towards retina hurting tones. I took the chance of this very bright & very cold morning to capture a corner with a freshly opened Autosign-Shop.

Technical: D600 & 1.4/105E

+
smallHTT_0304_00001_.JPG

.stark winter sun & black photographers.

22 01 02017

Cold is OK for me as long as I get some light. The days before the current period where very exhausting because it stayed dark all day. Look at that sun, look at these colors! Enjoy!

technical Fuji X100T 23mm f/5.6

small_6TG1570_v1_.JPG

.Americans in Bonn.

14 01 02017

Sep Ruf - Wikipedia

Sep Ruf created a settlement for the High Commissioner of Germany in Bonn. The HiCoG-settlement is still there while the Americans are long gone. I remember friendship from my youth visiting Americans in this settlement before they returned to America. Pars pro toto, two buildings taken with the D600 & 105E from "the high rise" the first building with more thast 5 storeys in Bonn:

View attachment 133233

They call them projects here in America...

.triangle construction.

23 01 02017

This bridge is being dismanteled, rebuilt and extended offering interesting perspectives on the way. I have a thread somewhere that shows my documentation work on the project. But my schedule is so tight currently that I collect the files and rarely manage to process, describe and post them. So for today an overview of the current state must suffice.

victoriabruecke_23012017.jpg

.snow on the faces.

24 01 02017

These ganite sculptures picture the heads of two Roman soldiers, Cassius and Florentius, city patrons of Bonn, said to have been murdered because they were Christians.

The artists İskender Yediler, who made these in 2002 is also known for some other sculptures of holy men in Munic, Cologne and the Black Forest region.

technical: D500 & 1.4/24G @f/1.4

smallKC1_4132_00001_.JPG

Those are interesting. Were they beheaded? Is that why they are just heads?

I think they were beheaded. The story is that of Martyrs. But it is very long ago, in the third century AD, so records can be mistrusted

I love Frank F photography

.curly whirly.

25 01 02017

I took a lot of interesting shots today, but this one is different. Somehow it makes me woozy when I look at it and it touches me emotionally too, don't know why. So I chose it. I see a tendency towards monochromatic shots currently.

technical: D500 & 1.4/24 @f/1.4

smallKC1_4225_00001_.JPG

.curly whirly.

25 01 02017

I took a lot of interesting shots today, but this one is different. Somehow it makes me woozy when I look at it and it touches me emotionally too, don't know why. So I chose it. I see a tendency towards monochromatic shots currently.

technical: D500 & 1.4/24 @f/1.4

View attachment 133852
It is very interesting. DOF, mechanical feel to it. It also has a feel of sorrow, like summer is over.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back