Frequent question/topic - a demo

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The question of whether or not to use a UV filter often come up on the forum. The usual comments are use it for protection of the front element or don't use it as it reduces image quality. I have never seen a demonstration of the quality loss argument so I decided to see for myself. I took two shots in bright sunlight, one with a UV filter & one without. That is the only difference between the two shots.

1. With UV filter

P1020779sm.jpg

2. WithOUT UV filter

P1020780sm.jpg

In this demonstration it is clear the image quality is diminished by the UV filter.

Damn, just did a preview & see that by using Photobucket to host the images they look much alike here on the forum. What a piss-off. I assure you there is a significant difference in the originals. :(

The difference you see is more likely because of your browser, than Photobucket.

Thanks for doing the comparison. I can still see the differences in IQ between test photos you have posted.

Ron, good information.:thumbup:

I used to disable the VR and take out the UV filter specially when using tripod. That applies to macros and long exposures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back