Frequent question/topic - a demo

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ron Evers, May 30, 2010.

1. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The question of whether or not to use a UV filter often come up on the forum. The usual comments are use it for protection of the front element or don't use it as it reduces image quality. I have never seen a demonstration of the quality loss argument so I decided to see for myself. I took two shots in bright sunlight, one with a UV filter & one without. That is the only difference between the two shots.

1. With UV filter

[​IMG]

2. WithOUT UV filter

[​IMG]

In this demonstration it is clear the image quality is diminished by the UV filter.

Damn, just did a preview & see that by using Photobucket to host the images they look much alike here on the forum. What a piss-off. I assure you there is a significant difference in the originals. :(

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The difference you see is more likely because of your browser, than Photobucket.

Thanks for doing the comparison. I can still see the differences in IQ between test photos you have posted.

3. gpardo64

gpardo64 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ron, good information.:thumbup:

I used to disable the VR and take out the UV filter specially when using tripod. That applies to macros and long exposures.