ShutterSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Teresina, Brazil otherwise known as the End of the
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
whats the real difference between the sensors in the
D60, D90, D300...
i know none of these are full-frame, but I currently have a D60 and really want/need to upgrade.
Since I live in Brazil, I was going to purchase a better camera body and have my parents bring it in July.
the D700 is a possibility since its full frame, but I don't earn money in dollars, I earn money in Brazilian Reals.

the photographer I worked with told me that there is little actual difference in the sensors from D60 to D300. for a better sensor, he told me to go for the D700. he emphasized improving the lenses.

but i wanted a second opinion.

Are you only concerned with the difference in the sensor, or the features and camera as a whole? The D60 has a CCD type sensor, while the D90 and D300 use a CMOS sensor. That's a huge difference in the sensor alone right off the bat. You are correct that there's yet another big jump in going to a Full-Frame camera. Also note that you'd need to get different lenses if you go FX, as your 18-55 and 55-200 are DX lenses.

Are you only concerned with the difference in the sensor, or the features and camera as a whole? The D60 has a CCD type sensor, while the D90 and D300 use a CMOS sensor. That's a huge difference in the sensor alone right off the bat. You are correct that there's yet another big jump in going to a Full-Frame camera. Also note that you'd need to get different lenses if you go FX, as your 18-55 and 55-200 are DX lenses.

so, its not a waste of money then..

what, then, is a CMOS sensor and why is it different than the CCD? higher ISO without noise?

what, then, is a CMOS sensor and why is it different than the CCD? higher ISO without noise?

Complementry Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMOS

CMOS uses less power than a CCD does which keeps the temperature of the sensor lower which results in a lower signal to noise ratio (SNR).

The CMOS image sensor in the D90/D300/D300s is quite a bit better than the CCD image sensor in the D60.

The D700 has even better ISO performance than the D90/D300/D300s.

Is there a replacement for the d300/s and d90 any time soon, I too have a d60 and wanting to offload it for something with more features.

Is there a replacement for the d300/s and d90 any time soon, I too have a d60 and wanting to offload it for something with more features.
The D300s just came out not too long ago, and the D90 is hugely popular as-is. I wouldn't expect a replacement for either for quite some time.

Launch date for the D90 was 8/27/08.

Launch date for the D300s was 7/30/09.

As far as the D90 I agree with Goontz, Nikon will milk it's popularity for all it's worth. They probably sell 1000 D90's for every D300s they sell, if not more, and would be grossly irresponsible business wise if they didn't.

I figure another year or so before Nikon releases a D400.

You can always follow Nikon Rumors .

Most reactions

Back